check_ifstatus -- ifAlias question

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cdnvballer

check_ifstatus -- ifAlias question

Post by cdnvballer »

Hi,

I'm looking at the code for check_ifstatus and I'd like to know

in the condition where there is an interface in down state (not admin down)
is the message supposed to include the ifalias associated with that interface?

reason is that I can run the check and it does properly report that a router interface is down, but all I get is something like this in my email alerts:

" Service: Interface_Status
Host: HOSTNAME
Address: ADDR
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Wed Jun 4 16:59:17 PDT 2014

Additional Info:
CRITICAL: host ADDR , interfaces up: 5, down: 1, dormant: 0, excluded: 0, unused: 0BRGigabitEthernet0/2: down BR"

IfName is useful, but we'd want to see the ifAlias...
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: check_ifstatus -- ifAlias question

Post by sreinhardt »

Just to verify, you are referring to the unused port information, and would like an option to show the ifalias in place of the ifname? I don't see why this shouldn't be do-able!
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
cdnvballer

Post by cdnvballer »

ah I found my problem,

I needed to add the "-I" flag so that the service check would report on the ifAlias :)

apologies, wasn't clear to me at first..maybe lack of coffee !
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Ha, no worries, glad you found it!
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.