/lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
StephMengMeng

/lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found

Post by StephMengMeng »

Hello,

I'm doing a batch install of Nagios on Linux (Centos 6.5). After installation I got the error '/lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk)'. I updated yum and reinstall glibc, glib-devel, but still not got any update, and my /lib64/libc.so.6 is still pointing to libc-2.12.so. I don't want to recompile the link by myself since some other apps are using this soft link as well. I would think of downloading the plugins which are build against 2.12. May I know which release shall I download?

Thanks,
Stephanie
tmcdonald

Re: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found

Post by tmcdonald »

Did you follow a particular guide? This is the one we usually push people toward:

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... Source.pdf

And what version of Core+Plugins are you installing?
Former Nagios employee
StephMengMeng

Post by StephMengMeng »

I did follow the guide to install and my nagios core and plugin is nagios 3. I have other client servers that running on the same nrpe which are fine. Just this has such problem. Shall I download a particular release whose plugin are built against libc-2.12.so? Or is there any other way to walk around?

Thanks,
Stephanie
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Let's clarify here, are you building from source or running an rpm install? Based on the glibc error, my guess is that you are using rpms. This is perfectly fine, but we need to differentiate between an issue with it compiling on your system and an issue with the Cent package. Let's take a look at a few things:

Code: Select all

rpms=$(rpm -qa)
echo $rpms | grep -i nagios
echo $rpms | grep -i nrpe
echo $rpms | grep -i glibc
echo $rpms | grep -i gcc
ldd /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
StephMengMeng

Post by StephMengMeng »

Thanks for the confirm, I was running the install through rpms on both monitoring server and the client servers. When I run the echo four statements, I got a ton of output. However, the last ldd output is as below and this is in line what my problem is. Shall I uninstall nagios from the client servers and reinstall from the source to resolve the issue or any other thoughts?
'/lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk)
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff94509000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f23556c4000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f2355330000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x0000003899200000)'

Thanks,
Stephanie
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

No rpms are just fine, it will just mean slightly older installs. Please output the results of the echo commands, otherwise we can't see whats going on.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
StephMengMeng

Post by StephMengMeng »

Thanks for the help. Please take a look at the output as attached.

Stephanie
Attachments
rpms.txt
output from echo
(72.81 KiB) Downloaded 1066 times
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I see what you mean by a lot of output, thats strange. Anyway, I can see that you have nagios plugins 1.4.16, which are outdated a fair amount but again should be fine. Specifically it looks like you have the epel version, so let's check a few more things just to be sure:

yum repolist all | grep enabled >> /tmp/log
yum info *nagios* >> /tmp/log
yum info *glibc* >> /tmp/log

Those will put out a good bit of data, so please attach the /tmp/log file.
StephMengMeng

Post by StephMengMeng »

Hi Spenser,

Please find the attached log. Basically the glib is version 2.12, and I want to reinstall my nrpe which is compiled/built against 2.12 instead of 2.14, but no idea which release version I shall download and install. Thank you a lot for helping for find the right one.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Attachments
nagios_log.txt
(38.94 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

At this point, I think you are best off removing the nagios-plugins package and building from source. I would suggest following the core from source documentation. Some notes, you do not need to follow the core steps, only the plugins portion. You will also need automake, autoconf, and libtool available via yum. Finally when doing the ./configure command, you will want to use --prefix=/usr/lib/nagios --libexec=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins