Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing

Postby ayushgoyal278 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:01 pm

After installing nagios core on fedora 14 using the quick installation guide, i get all the services to be critical for localhost and when i click on the red box, it says "Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing" for all the services.

I checked the libexec folder in the nagios folder and it is empty...i think the plugins are not getting installed in that folder inspite of trying to install them twice. Is there anything that i am missing?

Here is the code that I run while installing the plugins when they are downloaded in the tmp folder:
#cd /tmp
#tar xvzf nagios-plugins-1.4.16.tar.gz
#cd nagios-plugins-1.4.16
#./configure --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios
#make
#make install
ayushgoyal278

Re: Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be miss

Postby slansing » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am

Does the plugins installation not complete at any point? Do you receive errors?
Register NOW for the Nagios World Conference 2014
--- And receive a 10% discount by clicking the link above! Or using Discount Code: SAM ---
slansing
The Good Cop

Postby ayushgoyal278 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 am

attached are the screenshots when i ran make and make install cmd
Attachments
make_error.png
make error
make install_error.png
make install error
ayushgoyal278

Postby lmiltchev » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Try installing "libssl-dev", then run again:

Code: Select all
./configure --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios
make
make install

Let us know if this helped.
Register for the Nagios World Conference 2014 NOW and receive a 10% discount with the promotional code: LUDMIL
lmiltchev
Bug Hunter Extraordinaire

Postby ayushgoyal278 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:38 am

I checked the packages running the cmd
# yum list *ssl*
but there were no libssl packages available instead there were libnussl and libnussl-devel available. I don't know if they are the same so didn't take a chance and looked for openssl packages. Installed openssl and openssl-devel and verified the configuration. Restarted the nagios and httpd service.
It's working now. :) Thank you so much guys.
Can you also please explain why these packages were required and not listed in the pre-reqs.
ayushgoyal278

Postby abrist » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 pm

They are optional pre-reqs, as some (really limited and rare now-a-days) environments do not need or want to use encryption (think industrial hardware/plcs/etc) in some circumstances. Due to this, we make it optional, though check_nrpe usually defaults to expecting encryption, whereas the nrpe daemon does not pull in ssl packages by default. In the future, just make sure you have the openssl and openssl-devel packages before you build nrpe.
Register for the Nagios World Conference 2014 NOW and receive a $100 Discount with the promotional code: ANDY
abrist
Mr. No*

Return to Nagios Core