check_ifoperstatus description not working

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
MLaing

check_ifoperstatus description not working

Post by MLaing »

I just upgraded to version 1.5 of the nagios plugins from version 1.4.15.

Anyway if I run:

Code: Select all

check_ifoperstatus -H server-01.mydomain.local -C public -d "HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter #50$"
I get:
UNKNOWN: could not retrive ifdescr/iftype snmpkey - 0-0

I can't get this to work at all with the -d, but it works fine if I use -k . It worked completely fine with 1.4.15. Any ideas why this is broken in this version? Thanks!
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: check_ifoperstatus description not working

Post by abrist »

My supposition is that the description string is not getting matched correctly. The end of the description includes a "$". Is this correct? What key "-k" is working for this check?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
slansing

Post by slansing »

If we can't get this figured out here, you might want to talk the plugin development team, or mail into their list at:

help@nagios-plugins.org

ifoperstatus can be a finicky plugin, they likely made a small change that caused problems.
MLaing

Post by MLaing »

Abrist,

$ in a regular expression means it ends with. I'm basically trying to prevent it from matching another adapter begins with this and ends with something else. I tried it with the exact description that the command would spit out and those didn't match either.

When you specify -k, you have to give it an integer number. For instance, -k 9 gives me the description "RAS Async Adapter". It shows me that it is up, but then if I run:

'checkifoperstatus -H server-01.mydomain.local -C public -d "RAS Async Adapter"' I get "UNKNOWN: could not retrive ifdescr/iftype snmpkey - 0-0"

--------------

Slansing,

Thanks for the tip. I'll shoot them an email about it. Maybe they can give me some insight as to why nothing is matching.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Let us know what they say! We might actually see your email come through on our end as well.