Remote restart java | JMXeval/NRPE

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
edwardzg

Remote restart java | JMXeval/NRPE

Post by edwardzg »

Hi,

After restarting java (on windows host) using event_handler when RAM usage is at 100% (check RAM using the plugin jmxeval) during 10 minutes, calling all external scripts (from Nagios RH server) is not possible and in any event ends the following information:

Code: Select all

The command (scripts/check_jmxeval.bat scriptsj/mxeval_jb.xml) returned an invalid return code: -1073741502 
For runcmd.bat is that info:

Code: Select all

The command (scripts/runcmd.bat) returned an invalid return code: -1073741502 
Anyone has that problem? Any idea will be appreciated :)

P.S. Only restart Windows machine restores the communication server<->host by nrpe.

Regards,
Piotr
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Remote restart java | JMXeval/NRPE

Post by abrist »

If memory is fully utilized, you may have issues with certain applications. If you fire off your event handler when memory usage is at <=98%, do you still get those errors?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
edwardzg

Post by edwardzg »

To perform the tests I don't wait until the memory usage will be at >98%. Only changing the Warning and Critical values ​​in the file .xml to lower. Jmxeval service got Critical status and restart java service on windows host.

When java restart finished i lose connection by nrpe port between windows host and Nagios server, similar to this situation https://nsclient.org/nscp/ticket/685 Helps only restart the virtual machine or closing all our java.exe serices on windows host

Any idea what is the problem?
slansing

Post by slansing »

Odd, so you are losing connectivity to NRPE via NSClient++ when you restart java? That should have no impact on access to NSClient++, this is just java correct? You are not restarting any sub-let type services or processes along with it? I don't think NSClient++ uses java itself.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Based on the issue that you posted, it sounds like an issue with nsclient killing child processes and closing sockets correctly. I don't think its a java specific thing, although it may be possible nsclient has other issues with network\local sockets too. Especially if he rewrote a function that is used for multiple connection types and did so improperly.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.