How to alert on network bandwidth with DL360?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: How to alert on network bandwidth with DL360?

Post by sreinhardt »

Thankfully, as each plugin\check is run, they have to reimport the mibs anyway, so a service nagios restart should have no effect outside of the obvious. However as for your naming question, I think you may be right, we ran into another person today who was having very similar issues and had to make the filename minus extension, match the import name and case exactly. Give it a shot with one of them, it certainly can't hurt!
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
jbruyet

Post by jbruyet »

Thanks sreinhardt. I'll give it a shot and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Joe B
jbruyet

Post by jbruyet »

Ok, I don't have a lot of experience with snmp so I may be missing something obvious here. Let's start with the first line of the error messages. That first line reads:

Code: Select all

Did not find 'mib-2' in module SNMPv2-SMI-v1 (/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/host-resources-mib.mib)
Looking in the host-resources-mib.mib file I see that it's trying to import "mib-2" from SNMPv2-SMI-v1:

IMPORTS
    mib-2
            FROM SNMPv2-SMI-v1
There are only two files named SNMPv2-SMI-v1:

root@FreeNag:/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs # ls -l SNMPv2-SMI-v1*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   705 Apr 23 17:01 SNMPv2-SMI-v1.cfg
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1414 Apr 23 17:01 SNMPv2-SMI-v1.mib
root@FreeNag:/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs #
Neither of those files contains an object named mib-2:

root@FreeNag:/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs # grep -i mib-2 SNMPv2-SMI-v1*
And that's just for the first error. Out of curiosity I grep'ed all of the files in the folder and saw that 494 out of 674 of them have mib-2 listed. Am I overlooking something simple here?

Thanks,

Joe B
jbruyet

Post by jbruyet »

Here's the next error:

Unlinked OID in HOST-RESOURCES-MIB: host ::= { mib-2 25 }
I don't have a HOST-RESOURCES-MIB mib file but I do have a HOST-RESOURCES-MIB.txt mib file, and that file does have mib-2 25 listed:

host     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mib-2 25 }

hrSystem        OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { host 1 }
hrStorage       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { host 2 }
hrDevice        OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { host 3 }
hrSWRun         OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { host 4 }
hrSWRunPerf     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { host 5 }
hrSWInstalled   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { host 6 }
hrMIBAdminInfo  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { host 7 }
I changed that name of that file to HOST-RESOURCES-MIB and now when I run an snmpwalk I'm down to three errors:

root@FreeNag:/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 192.168.3.26 > DC3.txt
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/IP-MIB.txt)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/DISMAN-EVENT-MIB.txt)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/DISMAN-SCHEDULE-MIB.txt)
Since that was one of the stock FreeBSD snmp files do you think I'll have other errors popping up because they can't find the file with the .txt extension?

Thanks,

Joe B
jbruyet

Post by jbruyet »

I'm so close! I renamed those three mib files removing the .txt extension (because it worked last time) but the error message barely changed:

root@FreeNag:/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 192.168.3.26 > DC3.txt
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/IP-MIB)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/DISMAN-EVENT-MIB.txt)
Did not find 'zeroDotZero' in module SNMPv2-SMI (/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/DISMAN-SCHEDULE-MIB)
There is no mention of zeroDotZero in SNMPV2-SMI.mib, but it IS mentioned in SNMPv2-SMI.txt:

zeroDotZero    OBJECT-IDENTITY
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
            "A value used for null identifiers."
    ::= { 0 0 }
I don't know what else to do at this time. I'm getting ready to head home for the weekend so maybe looking at this next week with a fresh set of eyes will help me see something.

Thanks,

Joe B
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I found someone with a very similar problem here
http://serverfault.com/questions/44031 ... snmpv2-smi

I would do this

cd /usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/
mv SNMPV2-SMI.mib /tmp/SNMPV2-SMI.mib
mv SNMPv2-SMI.txt SNMPv2-SMI.mib
This will move the incorrect item out of the directory to /tmp and just leave the correct SNMPv2-SMI in the directory
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
jbruyet

Post by jbruyet »

Thank you scottwilkerson, that did the trick. I just ran my snmpwalk and it finished without any errors. And thanks again to the rest of you who helped. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joe B
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Glad to see it working. If that's all I will be closing the thread now, but don't hesitate to open a new one if you have other troubles later on.
Former Nagios employee