Nagios 3.3.1 to 4.0.5 Question

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ccc_sysprog

Nagios 3.3.1 to 4.0.5 Question

Post by ccc_sysprog »

Hi

I have inherited a Nagios Core system running on Oracle Enterprise Linux (essentially Redhat) 6u3 that is running 3.3.1. It is likely running the Plugins 1.0 version too, I have yet to verify this. I have been searching for a while and have not found a direct upgrade path for 4.0.5 and Plugins 2.0. Is there a guide I am missing? I am fairly new to Nagios but I have been managing the system our previous administrator left us. We are using the free version and I know this because we edit flat files. I'm grateful for any information given.
jsmurphy

Re: Nagios 3.3.1 to 4.0.5 Question

Post by jsmurphy »

For Nagios core there isn't really such a thing as an upgrade path, you can upgrade from any version to any version... you might experience your config not loading if certain pragmas have been removed/changed between major versions but very little has been touched in this regard for Nagios 3.x -> 4.0. I would simply make a backup of your Nagios directory then run the installer and follow the bouncing ball. You can find a debian guide for upgrading here, which is 99% the same as doing most EL flavours: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagi ... ading.html

As for the plugins those will just straight up install over the top of the old ones, usually very little to worry about here.
slansing

Re: Nagios 3.3.1 to 4.0.5 Question

Post by slansing »

Yep just as Jsmurphy said, it's quite easy. You can also check out this guide, since you will be following the same steps as you would for an installation, because you need to recompile:

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... Source.pdf