How to reset volatile passive services to "OK"?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
bbigras

How to reset volatile passive services to "OK"?

Post by bbigras »

I set up portsentry like described on the Volatile Services page.

I get emails when portsentry reports a port scan even if the service is already to "Critical" but it seems the service is stuck to critical for ever.

Is it possible to reset it to "Ok" manually or after a while? I tryed with an acknowledgment but I don't think it's the right way since I guess it could prevent alerts when the status is already on "Critical".

It also seems that Nagios forces me to use a check_command with a passive check. I think it's useful when you expect passives results and you want an alerts if you don't receive any for a while. It doesn't apply to me since portsentry only reports when there's a problem.

Is using check_dummy with check_freshness to reset the state to "Ok" the only way?

Thanks!
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: How to reset volatile passive services to "OK"?

Post by abrist »

It is not the only way.
You could submit a passive ok check. You can even script it:
http://old.nagios.org/developerinfo/ext ... and_id=114
Just a note, because the service is volatile - the passive check will trip notifications, even if the service is currently ok.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.