check_nt counter instances issue

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kristhyan

check_nt counter instances issue

Post by kristhyan »

I’m in trouble with the command check_nt -v INSTANCES
Any query on any counter object generate an output as below:

[root@nagioscore libexec]# ./check_nt -H server -p 12489 -v INSTANCES -l Process
Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process

It never displays the instances name, but repeats the counter object name for the number of instances it contains.
Have you experience of issues like this?

I’m using check_nt version v2.0 (nagios-plugins 2.0) and NSClient++ 0,4,1,102 2013-07-15 on the Windows Server. It happens on all version of Windows I tested (Win 2003, 2008, 2008 r2)
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: check_nt counter instances issue

Post by abrist »

Is it possible for you to try this with NSClient version 0.3.9?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
kristhyan

Post by kristhyan »

Hi Abrist,

I tried with nsclient version 0.3.9.328.
I got a different problem. Below the result of the query:

"NSClient - ERROR: Failed to enumerate counter instances: RESOLVER: EnumObjectInstances: Could not find index: Process : The specified object was not found on the computer. (C0000BB8)"

I tried on Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012

Many thanks
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Well, there is a bug reported in NSClient++ 0.3.9, so this check won't work in this version. See here:

https://nsclient.org/nscp/ticket/562

I was able to recreate the issue. See below:

Code: Select all

[root@testbox libexec]# ./check_nt -H x.x.x.x -s "password" -p 12489 -v CLIENTVERSION
NSClient++ 0.3.9.328 2011-08-16

[root@testbox libexec]# ./check_nt -H x.x.x.x -s "password" -p 12489 -v INSTANCES -l Process
NSClient - ERROR: Failed to enumerate counter instances: RESOLVER: EnumObjectInstances: Could not find index: Process : The specified object was not found on the computer.   (C0000BB8)
However, I don't believe this is actually fixed, as I am getting the same errors as you in ver. 0.4.1:

Code: Select all

[root@testbox libexec]# ./check_nt -H x.x.x.x -s "password" -p 12489 -v CLIENTVERSION
NSClient++ 0,4,1,102 2013-07-15

[root@testbox libexec]# ./check_nt -H x.x.x.x -s "password" -p 12489 -v INSTANCES -l Process
Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process,Process
I would recommend posting a question on the NSClient++ Support Forum, since NSClient++ is not developed or maintained by Nagios.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
mickem

Post by mickem »

This is a bug and will be fixed in the next build of 0.4.3 (out in the next 24 hours).
And back ported to 0.4.2 in the next few days.

// Michael Medin
// Michael Medin @mickem, blog.medin.name

Author of NSClient++ - http://nsclient.org
NSClient++ 0.4.2 Documentation: http://docs.nsclient.org
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Cool, thanks for the update.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
kristhyan

Post by kristhyan »

Great news Michael!!
I'll try it as soon it will be available.

Many thanks
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Great! I am locking this topic as "resolved" ("will be resolved in the future"). :)
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!