Step to step Migrating nagios core 3.5.1 to nagios core 4.04

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
RDMaroto

Step to step Migrating nagios core 3.5.1 to nagios core 4.04

Post by RDMaroto »

Good morning,

I'm going to migrate nagios core 3.5.1 to nagios core 4.07.

There is official documentation to perform the migration of versions?

Is it convenient to make this leap from version?

The existing monitoring information is lost?

Thanks for your time.
Regards.
RDMaroto

Re: Step to step Migrating nagios core 3.5.1 to nagios core

Post by RDMaroto »

Excuse me
The migration is to version Nagios Core 4.07.
Thanks

Regards
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

I haven't actually updated 3.5.1 to 4.0.7, but I have updated 1.9 to 2 to 3 to 4. Basically, you save your configuration files somewhere else, and your nagios state information files and histories, and you can basically install the CGI and binary files right on top of your existing ones. With careful planning, and make sure you know what's different in the configuration files between versions (new or removed keywords, for instance), you can do the upgrade without any problem.

The basic steps shown in http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/upgrading.html are still valid for upgrading to a 4.x version.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
slansing

Post by slansing »

Locking this as it has not been responded to in >5 days, please PM a moderator to get it unlocked if you return.
RDMaroto

Post by RDMaroto »

Good morning,
Are many files of configuration and parameters would that change?

Thanks
Regards
slansing

Post by slansing »

Are you asking how many? The exact number is undetermined, the upgrade process is pretty darn simple as Eloyd pointed out, just make sure to back up your configuration files, if you wanted to you could also back up your status.dat, objects cached, and retention.dat, though it's not really necessary, just a peace of mind trick I do to myself. If you are running on a VM, I suggest you snapshot it as well.
RDMaroto

Post by RDMaroto »

Thanks for your reply.
I thought that already known parameters changing of name between the versions,and which were located.

regards
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

You will want to look at http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagi ... tsnew.html to see what's new with Nagios Core 4. It tells you what configuration options have changed or been added. It also lists what has been deprecated or removed, and all other changes.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Totally agree with eloyd, that particular page should give you all the details on changes from 3 to 4. As for actual visual or config changes, they are very minimal and most likely your 3.x configs will work perfectly fine with 4.x or need very minor changes.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.