Missing scripts

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Callahan

Missing scripts

Post by Callahan »

Hi,

Try as I might I cannot find the checkfilesize script that is supposed to come with NSClient++. I'm running the latest version (V0.4.2) and I need to check the size of a folder containing multiple folders/files and warn me if it reaches set levels. Trouble is that the latest version of NSClient++ only seems to come with checkfiles or check_files scripts. Both of which (as fart as my testing goes) only check number of files in a given folder. People are clearly using the checkfilesize script - see here: http://www.nsclient.org/forums/search/folder+size/ so I don't know what I'm missing as it's definitely not installed with the latest copy of NSClient++.

Could someone point me in the direction of where to get this script?

Many thanks.
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Missing scripts

Post by Box293 »

checkfilesize is not actually a script but an alias for the CheckFiles command.

CheckFiles will allow you to check just one file. Here are some examples using CheckFiles:

For example I want to check the size of C:\Windows\Regedit.exe. It is approx 417k.
Here you can see I am checking if it is over 500k in size:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.25.14.2 -c CheckFiles -a path=c:\\Windows\\regedit.exe "filter=size > 500k" "syntax=%filename%: %size%" MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1
CheckFile ok|'found files'=0;1;1
You can see that it found 0 files so it reported OK.

Here you can see I am checking if it is over 400k in size:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.25.14.2 -c CheckFiles -a path=c:\\Windows\\regedit.exe "filter=size > 400k" "syntax=%filename%: %size%" MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1
regedit.exe: 417K, found files: 1 > critical|'found files'=1;1;1
You can see that it found 1 files so it reported CRITICAL.

It's a little bit complicated because CheckFiles was written to be very flexible.

If you look in nsclient.ini you'll find a line alias_file_size which can perform the same check I've described above:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.25.14.2 -c alias_file_size -a c:\\Windows\\regedit.exe 500k
CheckFile ok|'found files'=0;1;1

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.25.14.2 -c alias_file_size -a c:\\Windows\\regedit.exe 400k
regedit.exe 417K, found files: 1 > critical|'found files'=1;1;1
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

Thanks for your explanation. I was looking for a script to check folder size though. I've found 2 so far - here: http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... 29/details and here: http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... bs/details. Both seem to do what I need but the documentation for them is limited.

If you know of an easier way, please let me know. Personally, I can't see why this script isn't rolled into NSClient++ as I think it's a pretty standard thing to want to do.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Doh I misread your post, sorry about that.

If you've got a script that does the job then I would stick with that, NSClient gets too complicated at times and the documentation / examples do not work so it makes it very difficult to understand.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.