Escalations using * for host_name

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
FTL

Escalations using * for host_name

Post by FTL »

Hi,

Can anybody clarify for me if a * in the host_name section of an escalation applies to all hosts Nagios monitors or just those in the specified config file with the * entry?

Eg

servers.cfg uses * for host_name in the escalation
websites.cfg use actual names of the hosts

Since changing to * for host_name escalations for servers.cfg i am finding that if i take a website temp offline i am getting 2 alerts instead of the usual 1.

Im presuming that a * in the escalation means every host nagios monitors regardless of what config file its specified in?

Please confirm?

Thankyou
tmcdonald

Re: Escalations using * for host_name

Post by tmcdonald »

From the docs (emphasis added):
If you want to create identical host escalations for all hosts that are defined in your configuration files, you can use a wildcard in the host_name directive. The definition below would create a hosts escalation for all hosts that are defined in your configuration files. All the instances of the host escalation would be identical (i.e. have the same contact groups, notification interval, etc.).
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/ ... ricks.html
Former Nagios employee
FTL

Re: Escalations using * for host_name

Post by FTL »

thanks tm

i knew id read about the wildcard usage somewhere but couldnt find the doc earlier.