Need help installng a plugin

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
xpac

Need help installng a plugin

Post by xpac »

Ok,
So I'm starting to get the hang of this LOL, anyway I found a site with a plugin I would like to install on my test Nagios server, here is a link to the page:

http://www.claudiokuenzler.com/nagios-p ... _5mlmOLHo5

My question is that he has a download check_smart.pl, which is a script, I'm not sure what to do with it once I download it. Is it something that needs to be run, copied to the nagios plugin directory, etc etc?

Just wondering as I'm finding that all the various standalone plugins are available in different forms, just trying to figure out what to do with these.
tmcdonald

Re: Need help installng a plugin

Post by tmcdonald »

Plugins will need to be installed to your plugins/libexec directory and given proper permissions (typically +x). Then you would create a command and host/service as usual for that plugin.

Basically make sure it looks (permission-wise) like the other plugins and you should be good to go. Bear in mind that some network-based plugins require root access to run, so you may have to setuid on the plugin to get it to run as root.
Former Nagios employee
xpac

Post by xpac »

Thanks, I at least got it "working" meaning at least it will run. It doesn't give me any useful output other than errors LOL, but so far I've tried 2 SMART plugins and neither of them give me anything useful...Back to the drawing board I guess. :P
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

What kind of errors are you seeing? This might be something we can get through.
Former Nagios employee
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Also, if you could provide the contents of your services.cfg and commands.cfg file where you define what this command is, that would be helpful.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
xpac

Post by xpac »

Ok, the errors I believe are specific to the plugin I'm trying to use and not to Nagios overall SO, it may be beyond the purpose of this forum unfortunately...but any help is greatly appreciated! :D

Quick Background: Ultimately what I want to be able to do is add some kind of SMART monitoring of my hard drives (in addition to all the default stuff) for my production servers which are running on HP Proliant DL380s with the HP hardware RAID arrays. In order to familiarize myself with Nagios and test out configurations I built a test CentOS 6.3 server (same OS as my production boxes) via VirtualBox on my Win 7 latop. While I've got Nagios running with the default, the SMART monitoring plugin has to be added from NagiosExchange since some research told me that the default "check_ide_smart" plugin won't work for the HP arrays. I don't want to install Nagios on any of the production boxes until I have everything sorted out and configured the way that I want.

On my laptop if I try running "check_ide_smart -d /dev/sda" I get the following:

CRITICAL - SMART_ENABLE: Input/output error
CRITICAL - SMART_CMD_ENABLE

In addition, I went through various plugins and decided to try the check_smart.pl plugin I found on the NagiosExchange site since its supposed to support HP arrays and specifically being able to monitor the disks behind the controller.

Following the instructions I set everything up, however when I run "check_smart.pl -d /dev/sda -i sata" I get:

UNKNOWN: No health status line found

I'm wondering if this has to do with my running this on a VirtualBox. Basically I just need a reliable plugin that will allow me to monitor hard drive health in my production servers all of which are sitting behind HP array controllers.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Generally speaking virtual disks do not have SMART capabilities. Unless you're providing full, physical device passthrough to the VM. So I think that's what you're seeing here.

You can always test to make sure it works by copying the perl script to your production boxes, and running the command that you would be running from Nagios. If it works, it works, and you just need to connect Nagios to be able to do it properly.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
xpac

Post by xpac »

eloyd wrote:Generally speaking virtual disks do not have SMART capabilities. Unless you're providing full, physical device passthrough to the VM. So I think that's what you're seeing here.

You can always test to make sure it works by copying the perl script to your production boxes, and running the command that you would be running from Nagios. If it works, it works, and you just need to connect Nagios to be able to do it properly.
Cool, I was thinking pretty much the same thing about the virtual disk. Actually this is the first time I've used VirtualBox, I've been a VMware guy for many years and while I'm not new to virtualization, I do believe this is the first time I've tried something like this.

I'll give it a shot running on one of my physical production boxes and see what I get.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Did you find anything of note?
Former Nagios employee