acknowledge and disabled

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
equick

acknowledge and disabled

Post by equick »

Hi Nagios Support,

I'm afraid my questions are going to sound really newbie, but despite seeming quite simple I couldn't find the answer anywhere :?
After a user acknowledges a warning, is there there a way to change that back to green (at least temporarily) ?
nagios.png
nagios.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
Also is there a way to remove the 'Disabled' label there?

Thanks,

Edward
Box293
Too Basu

Re: acknowledge and disabled

Post by Box293 »

newbie questions are always welcomed!

Acknowledging a warning or critical service provides the following functionality:
  • Stops any more alerts being sent out about this issue
    As per your screenshot, it will now be added to the "x Acknowledged" count and removed from the "x Warning" count
It does not mean that the problem has gone away. The reason for the warning being generated is that it passed a threshold.

Green means that the check returned an OK status, which is not the case.

You could submit a passive check result with an OK status which would return the service to a green state HOWEVER it will go back into the warning state the next time the check runs.

The disabled label means that there are services with notifications disabled. To remove the disabled label means you need to enable notifications on these services.

Does this answer your questions?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
equick

Post by equick »

Thanks for the reply. Actually I think understand the disabled issue better now. Nagios first sets the warning to unhandled, then if nothing is done, it automatically disables the notifications on that service.

On the other issue, is there a workaround to make a non OK service green for a scheduled time? A colleague of mine said you could delay the next scheduled check to turn it green, but that didn't seem to work.
Last edited by equick on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Not really. You could submit a passive check with an OK state, but the next scheduled check will change the state to what is returned in the check result.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
equick

Post by equick »

Thanks that actually does work. Submitting a passive check and then clicking 'Stop accepting passive checks for this service'.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Yes that would work, up to this point, we have been assuming these are active checks, and you would be submitting a passive result to it. Thus when the next scheduled check came through, it would reset back to warning or critical. It now sounds like you are likely using passive checks mainly, and thus as you mentioned submitting an OK passive check then disabling further passives coming in would work great, provided you understand that it will have to be re-enabled to accept future checks.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
equick

Post by equick »

Box293 wrote: The disabled label means that there are services with notifications disabled. To remove the disabled label means you need to enable notifications on these services.
If the notifications are enabled for a service, should nagios still add the disabled label on there?

Code: Select all

define service {
  use                           check_mk_passive_perf
  host_name                     ldndsr000004838
  service_description           Apache https port: wobe-rp_14203
  check_interval                1
  contact_groups                dmz-admins
  service_groups                DMZ External Farm T1
  notifications_enabled         1
  notification_period           24x7_sans_reboots
  normal_check_interval         5
  max_check_attempts            3
  check_command                 check_mk-apache_https_port
}
servicestate.png
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

equick wrote: If the notifications are enabled for a service, should nagios still add the disabled label on there?
What disabled flag are you referring to?
The only disabled flags I see are for event handlers and active checks. Not notifications.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
equick

Post by equick »

The Disabled label in the blue box:
disabled.JPG
disabled.JPG (6.36 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

I'm having trouble replicating this here.

When you click x disabled it should list all the objects that match the criteria defining it as disabled.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.