How to check a service once a day, without an "OK" message

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
avonnieda

Re: How to check a service once a day, without an "OK" messa

Post by avonnieda »

Hey hey, now there's one I didn't know about, thank you! :)

OK, between the passive check and that option, I think it's doable! Thanks very much for your time, Eric.

Best regards,

-Adam
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

You can absolutely do it that way, a nice addition to notification options, and alternatives to your script sending ok as well, would be to use event handlers to submit a passive check return if the service check does go to warning or critical. This will allow you to use nagios to check once a day, send the notification if warn\crit, and if either of those are found it will also auto-reset to OK as the event handler that returns. It has the added advantage of avoiding the reset to OK logic in your script, unless you want to handle it that way, which would be perfectly fine as well!
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

You are welcome. Remember me in your will. ;-)
avonnieda wrote:Hey hey, now there's one I didn't know about, thank you! :)

OK, between the passive check and that option, I think it's doable! Thanks very much for your time, Eric.

Best regards,

-Adam
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

If IT were a cat, Nagios would be the skinning process.
sreinhardt wrote:You can absolutely do it that way, a nice addition to notification options, and alternatives to your script sending ok as well, would be to use event handlers to submit a passive check return if the service check does go to warning or critical. This will allow you to use nagios to check once a day, send the notification if warn\crit, and if either of those are found it will also auto-reset to OK as the event handler that returns. It has the added advantage of avoiding the reset to OK logic in your script, unless you want to handle it that way, which would be perfectly fine as well!
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!