How to check a service once a day, without an "OK" message

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
avonnieda

How to check a service once a day, without an "OK" message

Post by avonnieda »

Hi folks,

I thought is_volatile might be what I was looking for, but it's not working like I thought it would. What I want to do is check a service once a day, if it matches a criteria, send a notification, and then put it back to OK (regardless of if it's actually OK or not). I don't want to send a follow up "OK" notification. Is there any way to do this? I know how to check a service just once a day, the part I don't know how to do is set the state back to "OK" after the notification.

In other words, I want to check something once a day, but not have the service in a status of "CRITICAL" for the next 24 hours, even if it still fits the criteria for that.

Hopefully this made at least a little sense .. Thanks,

-Adam
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Re: How to check a service once a day, without an "OK" messa

Post by eloyd »

It would help if you told us what you were checking. "is_volatile" may be what you're looking for after all.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
avonnieda

Post by avonnieda »

I'm checking a service that may or may not return a 0, 1, or 2, just like any other service. It's just that I want to check it only once a day (which is no problem), send a notification if it's a 1 or 2 RC, and then set the status back to OK, regardless of the return code from the check. I want to check this once a day, but not have to look at the service in a non-OK state for the next 24 hours if it sent out a Not-OK notification.

I realize this is not the way Nagios wants to work, but I feel like someone has probably been in a similar situation before. What I'm looking to do is essentially the same as having a shell script execute once a day via cron, do a check, and send an email. Which is what I'll end up doing if I can't make this work.

Dunno if that helped or not, but thanks for the reply.

-Adam
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

I was hoping more for "I want to check the web site using check_http" or something like that.

Regardless, if you're just looking to always take action once per day at the same time based on the result of a single Nagios check, I would turn to cron.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
avonnieda

Post by avonnieda »

I'm checking for the existence of rows in an Oracle table via a plugin that I wrote. Does that help?
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Perfect. Yes, it helps. I ask because if it's a custom plugin that you wrote, one option is to have the plugin take action and always return an OK back to Nagios.
avonnieda

Post by avonnieda »

If it takes action and always returns OK though, then a notification will never go out, right? Or am I missing something? For clarification, I don't want the plugin to correct the situation, all I'm looking for is a notification that something is awry.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Let me see if I have this timeline correct:

Code: Select all

Monday - 8:00 am - Check is performed
  result is OK
  do nothing for 24 hours
Tuesday - 8:00 am - Check is performed
  result is CRITICAL
  send email
  do nothing for 24 hours
Wednesday - 8:00 am - Check is performed
  result is CRITICAL
  send email????
  do nothing for 24 hours
Thursday - 8:00 am - Check is performed
  result is OK
  do nothing for 24 hours
Depending on what happens on Wednesday, you could just have Nagios do what Nagios normally does, set max_check_attempts to 1, set the check_interval to 24 hours and the retry_interval becomes irrelevant. If you want Wednesday to send email as well, then you're good. If you don't want Wednesday to send email, change the notification_interval to also be 24 hours.

This way, you just have a really long period (1 day) between checks, but Nagios does what Nagios is supposed to do without you doing anything weird.
avonnieda

Post by avonnieda »

Thanks, that's part of the solution, but two more things need to happen

1) The service needs to be set to OK regardless of return code the initial check - I'm thinking that the plugin could submit a passive check to accomplish this.
2) There should never be a "Service is OK" notification sent. The only notifications I want are one time per day, if the condition exists.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Simple: Set notification_options to be just "c" and you'll only be notified about criticals.

From http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagi ... ml#service, regarding notification_options:
This directive is used to determine when notifications for the service should be sent out. Valid options are a combination of one or more of the following: w = send notifications on a WARNING state, u = send notifications on an UNKNOWN state, c = send notifications on a CRITICAL state, r = send notifications on recoveries (OK state), f = send notifications when the service starts and stops flapping, and s = send notifications when scheduled downtime starts and ends. If you specify n (none) as an option, no service notifications will be sent out. If you do not specify any notification options, Nagios will assume that you want notifications to be sent out for all possible states. Example: If you specify w,r in this field, notifications will only be sent out when the service goes into a WARNING state and when it recovers from a WARNING state.