Nagios Process Crash

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
pharoz

Nagios Process Crash

Post by pharoz »

Hi, I'm running nagios 4.0.8 and I noticed that the Nagios process has unexpectedly crash recently. I have livestatus and thruk. I'm not sure what's causing it to crash and was wondering where I should look to isolate the issue.

I have a feeling it may be the thruk BPI addon because that's the only thing I enabled recently. Below is a snippet of the error.

Code: Select all

[1411400822] Warning:  Passive check result was received for service 'Virtual Infrastructure' on host 'Virtual Infrastructure', but the host could not be found!
[1411400822] Error: External command failed -> PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;Virtual Infrastructure;Virtual Infrastructure;0;OK - everything is fine
When I restart the nagios process, I get the following error indicating it could not find the process, which indicate that it indeed crashed.

root@RWCNAGIOS:~# service nagios restart
Running configuration check...
Stopping nagios:/etc/init.d/nagios: 140: kill: No such process

done.
Starting nagios: done.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Re: Nagios Process Crash

Post by eloyd »

Edit nagios.cfg and up your logging. Also look at /var/log/messages to see if anything is posted there.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Nagios Process Crash

Post by abrist »

What are the permission on the command pipe?

ls -la /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
They should be similar to:

prw-rw---- 1 nagios nagcmd 0 Sep 22 15:29 /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
Did you notice any useful errors/warning in the logs mentioned by eloyd?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.