Service Escalation

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
flemingdp

Service Escalation

Post by flemingdp »

Hello,

Is it possible to escalate services based on a host's host group if the services are directly applied to the host and not the group? I have 2 contact groups A and B. On some servers we would like B to be notified 1st and after 8 hours have group A notified (this would apply both to host and their associated services). How would this be implemented?

Thank you,

Dan
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Service Escalation

Post by Box293 »

Creating a service escalation based on a host group will work. However if you have another escalation for the host or service specifcially they will override. The close you are to the object is how the escalations are determined.

When you talk about notifying different contact groups, you would create two escalation definitions.
The first definition would notify group A with the first and last notification set to 1. The interval would be set to 480, so the next notification would occur eight hours in the future.
The second definition would notify group B with the first notification set to 2 and last notification set to 0.

Does this work with what you were thinking?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
flemingdp

Post by flemingdp »

So if I have a host escalation for the host group already. Do I need a separate service escalation for the services? Or do the services inherit their escalation from the host escalation?

Regards,

Dan
slansing

Post by slansing »

You will want a separate escalation for services, escalations are handled the same as notifications, your host and service notifications will follow separate trails.
flemingdp

Post by flemingdp »

So let me give an example. I have Host A with service 1 on it, and host B with service 1 on it. I would like service 1 on Host A to goto one group, and service 1 on Host B to goto a different group. Would that be possible? Right now our current solution it to create two services that check the same thing, but set their notifications / escalations differently. I would like to clean up the config a bit, and not have to have seemingly duplicate services.

Regards,

Dan
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

You would create one common service definition that has no contacts.

You then:
create a service escalation object for host A service 1 that sends to the first group
create a service escalation object for host B service 1 that sends to the second group
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.