Escape Exclamation Mark (!) in argument with check_nrpe

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
warnox

Escape Exclamation Mark (!) in argument with check_nrpe

Post by warnox »

Hey,

I'm trying to execute the command below from the Nagios server using check_nrpe but the exclamation mark (!) is not getting passed to the remote host. I tried escaping it with a back slash (\) but that doesn't work either.

According to http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/whatsnew.html, escaping is supported in Nagios 3.0.

Code: Select all

# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c check_winservice -a '--startmode auto --state !running --verbose'
Service state(s): running
Service start modes: auto
Service(s): all
Number of services selected: 50
SERVICE OK - 50 service(s).|'services'=50
If I replace '!running' with '\!running' it only passes through '\'.

# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.44.1.85 -c check_winservice -a '--startmode auto --state \!running --verbose'
Service state(s): \
Number of services selected: 0
SERVICE OK - 0 service(s).|'services'=0
On the NSClient end I have the following in nsclient.ini.

check_winservice = scripts\check_winservice.exe $ARG1$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$ $ARG5$ $ARG6$ $ARG7$
Running the command locally on the client works fine, so it's definitely an escaping problem with check_nrpe.

Thanks for any help.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Re: Escape Exclamation Mark (!) in argument with check_nrpe

Post by eloyd »

I hate all that escaping stuff that needs to be done. I'm not saying this will work, and I'm not saying that I've tried this, but here are some ideas:

Put the $ARGx$ variables in double quotes on the client side.

Try double-escapping (meaning, escape the escape) like this: \\\!running

Last-ditch effort is that you could define a one-off check that doesn't pass this information as an arugment, but includes it on the remote side as a hard-coded option.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
warnox

Post by warnox »

eloyd wrote:I hate all that escaping stuff that needs to be done. I'm not saying this will work, and I'm not saying that I've tried this, but here are some ideas:

Put the $ARGx$ variables in double quotes on the client side.

Try double-escapping (meaning, escape the escape) like this: \\\!running

Last-ditch effort is that you could define a one-off check that doesn't pass this information as an arugment, but includes it on the remote side as a hard-coded option.
Thanks for your quick response and I'm with you on escaping stuff but thought I was just doing something wrong. Anyway, below are the results.

1. Quotes around $ARGx$ didn't work, the command doesn't run properly.

Unknown option: startmode auto --state \" running
Unknown option: verbose $arg3$ $arg4$ $arg5$ $arg6$ $arg7$
2. Double escaping doesn't work either.

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c check_winservice -a '--startmode auto --state \\\!running --critical 0 --verbose'
Service state(s): \\\
3. Yep, that works but I wanted to avoid doing it this way :)

check_auto_services = scripts\check_winservice.exe --state !running $ARG1$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$ $ARG5$ $ARG6$

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c check_auto_services -a '--startmode auto --critical 0 --verbose'
Service state(s): !running
Number of services selected: 2
SERVICE CRITICAL - 2 service(s).|'services'=2;;0
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

warnox wrote:
3. Yep, that works but I wanted to avoid doing it this way :)

check_auto_services = scripts\check_winservice.exe --state !running $ARG1$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$ $ARG5$ $ARG6$

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c check_auto_services -a '--startmode auto --critical 0 --verbose'
Service state(s): !running
Number of services selected: 2
SERVICE CRITICAL - 2 service(s).|'services'=2;;0
Unfortunately with the ! used to break arguments in the nagios config, this is the only way I know of to make this work with a NRPE check....
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
warnox

Post by warnox »

Yea cool, though it might be.

Thanks for your help!