Nagios Core and Solaris 10 SPARC

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Berto

Nagios Core and Solaris 10 SPARC

Post by Berto »

Hello,

I'm new to using Nagios core and I have question about the .cfg files that Nagios core uses. I had no issues installing Nagios Core on a RHEL6.4 system and I've currently have 3 Linux servers that I'm using as an evaluation of Nagios Core to see if it could be a possible replacement for our current server monitoring tool. Our business environment also uses Solaris 10 SPARC servers and after compiling NRPE and Nagios Plugins with no issues I added my Solaris 10 server into my hosts.cfg along with editing commands.cfg and service.cfg. When restarting Nagios I got this error:

Reading configuration data...
Read main config file okay...
Error: Template 'solaris-client' specified in host definition could not be not found (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/unix_open/hosts.cfg', starting on line 17)
Error processing object config files!

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config files...

Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
directives and data defintions. If you are upgrading from a previous
version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
may have been removed or modified in this version. Make sure to read
the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.

This is what I had in the hosts.cfg

define host{
use client-server
host_name suadm.fully.qualified.domain
alias suadm
address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
}

Since I wasn't sure why the error says "Template 'solaris-client' specified in host definition could not be not found", I decided to just replace "solaris-client" with the entry the Linux servers have "linux-server" and Nagios restarted with no issues and I can see it Nagios Core. So my question is do I need a separate hosts.cfg for Solaris?

Thanks,

--Berto
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Nagios Core and Solaris 10 SPARC

Post by Box293 »

"use solaris-client" means that it will inherit settings from the template called solaris-client. If that template doesn't exist then nagios won't start.

A template is identical to a normal definition except it has "register 0" which means it is no used unless is it called as a template.

Here's some reading for you: http://www.iggyt.org/doku.php?id=wiki:i ... _templates

Before restarting nagios you should verify your configuation. You can do this with:

Code: Select all

service nagios checkconfig
If there is something wrong it will highlight it.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.