Dumb Question: What does "Disable Notifications" do?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
gohanman

Dumb Question: What does "Disable Notifications" do?

Post by gohanman »

Forgive the stupid question. I've got a host that's down. I've clicked "Disable Notifications" in the web UI on the host's only service. There's a now a bullhorn icon with a red X that says notifications are disabled on hover. And yet nagios continues to fire off emails telling me that this service is down. What is the purpose of "disable notifications" if not to stop these emails, and how do I stop the emails? I've also tried "Acknowledge Problem" and the emails continue...
tmcdonald

Re: Dumb Question: What does "Disable Notifications" do?

Post by tmcdonald »

Are you disabling the notifications on the host or on one of the services attached to it? They are two separate things and will not affect notifications on the other.
Former Nagios employee
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Trevor hit the nail on the head (Trevor makes a good hammer, since he's Iron Man Lite). If you acknowledge the host being down or if you mark notifications disabled for the host, all the services on the host will still continue to notify as normal. You will need to disable notifications for those services or acknowledge them separately.

Though, if I remember correctly, a service is supposed to not notify if the associated host is down, so there may be something else going on here.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
slansing

Post by slansing »

All services assigned to a host should cease alerting once nagios picks up that the host is down. It is possible that those service notifications were already spooled up when the host went down, are they still continuing to notify you right now? Are they typical notifications (critical, warning, ok, unknown)? The host IS in a hard, down state, correct?