passive (nsclient++) and WMICheck

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
lejeczek

passive (nsclient++) and WMICheck

Post by lejeczek »

hi everybody
I'm looking WMICheck part of nsclient++ but cannot figure out how to set it up as a passive check.
Can someone share a simple example / config?
thanks
tmcdonald

Re: passive (nsclient++) and WMICheck

Post by tmcdonald »

Have you read our guide on NSClient++ passive checks?

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... Checks.pdf

The NSClient++ website also has a decent doc on the subject:

http://docs.nsclient.org/tutorial/nagios/nsca.html
Former Nagios employee
lejeczek

Post by lejeczek »

nope, I've read those, I have passive checks set up but have failed to do it with WMI
It appears too cryptic for me, I've read doc on WMI from nsclient++ but it is unclear, still.
Shame there is no one single simple example including configs, cleanly explained and described.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Can you post what doesn't make sense so we can try and explain it better for you.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
lejeczek

Post by lejeczek »

gee, a simple config whit good description, explanation of what goes where, client/agent config, server/nagios config, etc.
But this is the bit which all docs lack anyway, an example(good) of passive WMI. I cannot find one single example.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Ok I understand that, but have you tried anything?

We understand the NSClient++ documentation isn't the best it could be but this is out of our control as it is developed independently.

The PDF we pointed you to was specific to Nagios XI so it might not be as helpful for a Nagios core user.

Personally I haven't touched on using NSClient for passive WMI checks but I'll have a look to see what I can come up with.

To start off with, what version of NSClient++ are you using?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
lejeczek

Post by lejeczek »

nagios 3.5.1 + nsclient 0.4.1.90
thanks.
lejeczek

Post by lejeczek »

What I'd like to try WMI is to get client's simple net info, eg. hostname, IP, MAC.
I thought WMI would be best/easiest path.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Honestly, I've never seen passive WMI checks before through any agent. I'm sure it could be possible, but there is probably a good reason it has not been documented. I was unable to find anything tied to passive, and WMI, dealing with NSClient++. This may be a better question to ask on their forums where their developers could give you the answer you are hopefully looking for.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

I have been having a look at this and having a play.

I have a question for you.

Do you already have NSClient++ installed, configured and sending Passive checks to Nagios and you just want to know how to do WMI Passive checks?

Or do you want to know how to completely set it up?