Configuring Nagios Cross Platform Agent (NCPA)

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
clombardo

Configuring Nagios Cross Platform Agent (NCPA)

Post by clombardo »

I am new to Nagios.

We have Nagios Core setup on one of our servers, my boss did the installation. I am trying to setup Nagios Cross Platform Agent (NCPA) on my desktop. There is a parameter "Config Name" that I do not know what this value is. How/Where do I get this value on Nagios Core is installed on our server? I attached the screen shot of needed parameters to install NCPA. Config Name is the last parameter in the screen shot.
Attachments
NCPA_parameters.png
slansing

Re: Configuring Nagios Cross Platform Agent (NCPA)

Post by slansing »

If you are using NRDS on your Core server, that is where you would place the name of the saved configuration you wish to use for this server. If you do not plan to use NRDS then you can leave that blank and change it later in the flat configuration file.
clombardo

Post by clombardo »

I'll have to check with my boss if he installed NRDS. Is there a way to check via linux command line? Now if we have NRDS installed there would be a Config Name there like you said. Where would I find the Config Name?
slansing

Post by slansing »

Here you are, this should contain all of that information:

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nrdp ... erview.pdf
clombardo

Post by clombardo »

Thank you for this. Now I am more confused as I am following this installation: http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/ncpa ... ation.html

There are so many different Nagios components that I am getting lost. The installation manual that I am following above is what I am trying to do. So now I am not sure what to do.
clombardo

Post by clombardo »

Some help would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck on this problem.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

What is it exactly that you are trying to achieve?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
clombardo

Post by clombardo »

My question is at the beginning of this post:

I am new to Nagios.

We have Nagios Core setup on one of our servers, my boss did the installation. I am trying to setup Nagios Cross Platform Agent (NCPA) on my desktop. There is a parameter "Config Name" that I do not know what this value is. How/Where do I get this value on Nagios Core is installed on our server? I attached the screen shot of needed parameters to install NCPA. Config Name is the last parameter in the screen shot.

Do we need to install some other pluggin where Nagios Core is installed? Please explain. I am still trying to understand what to do.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

As slansing mentioned, config name and everything except token is optional and only used for nrdp\nrds. If you are planning to use just active checks with check_ncpa, you do not need the passive section at all, and it may be left entirely blank without worry.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

I added a GitHib request to make the settings screen include some more information.
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/ncpa/issues/133

To answer your other questions as this may help others in the future.
clombardo wrote:I'll have to check with my boss if he installed NRDS. Is there a way to check via linux command line?
IF NRDP (not NRDS) was installed, a config file for it would exists here:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nrdp/server/config.inc.php
clombardo wrote:Now if we have NRDS installed there would be a Config Name there like you said. Where would I find the Config Name?
The Config Name and Host name are not stored on the NRDP receiving server.
These are the details of the sending machine. This is how Nagios associates these check results with services.

Here is examples from the nagios.log when these services do not exist.

[1421279817] Error: Got check result for service 'cpu usage' on host 'My Config Name win7-01'. Unable to find service
[1421279817] Error: Got check result for service 'memory usage' on host 'My Config Name win7-01'. Unable to find service
[1421279817] Error: Got check result for service 'swap usage' on host 'My Config Name win7-01'. Unable to find service
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.