Fetching the list of Alerts

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ankukreja

Post by ankukreja »

Hi Support Team ,

We recently started to support one account where-in Nagios is being using as an alerting tool . To start with , we wanted to download the list of existing alerts so that we can identify what is currently being set , what are the gaps and create more alerts based on that .

Can you please let me know how to fetch the existing alert inventory ?

Regards ,
Anuj
slansing

Re: Fetching the list of Alerts

Post by slansing »

I just want to clear this up first, is this for XI or Core? Now when it comes to alerts/notifications you can get a full list from the Home > Notifications page, you can also pull this data from mysql which can be a bit dangerous if you are not careful. Are you looking for the alerts that are being sent? Or who is designated to receive them?
ankukreja

Post by ankukreja »

slansing wrote:I just want to clear this up first, is this for XI or Core? Now when it comes to alerts/notifications you can get a full list from the Home > Notifications page, you can also pull this data from mysql which can be a bit dangerous if you are not careful. Are you looking for the alerts that are being sent? Or who is designated to receive them?

Hi ,

I am not looking for alerts that are currently firing or active . I am looking for all the alerts that are currently setup in Nagios Core and XI specifi to my environment or eco-system .

As I mentioned , here is what we are trying to
1. Seek dump of all alerts we have in eco-system ( Seeeking your help in this )
2. Undertake comprehensive gap analysis (start with critical alerts missing and get them enabled – code a correct script with right threshold and frequency)

Regards ,
Anuj
ankukreja

Post by ankukreja »

slansing wrote:I just want to clear this up first, is this for XI or Core? Now when it comes to alerts/notifications you can get a full list from the Home > Notifications page, you can also pull this data from mysql which can be a bit dangerous if you are not careful. Are you looking for the alerts that are being sent? Or who is designated to receive them?

Sorry , this is for Nagios Core . I posted in wrong forum.
ankukreja

Post by ankukreja »

Hi Support Team ,

We recently started to support one account where-in Nagios Core is being using as an alerting tool . To start with , we wanted to download the list of existing alerts so that we can identify what is currently being set , what are the gaps and create more alerts based on that .

I am not looking for alerts that are currently firing or active . I am looking for all the alerts that are currently setup in Nagios Core specific to my environment or eco-system .

Just to summarize , here is what we are trying to
1. Seek dump of all alerts we have in eco-system ( Seeking your help in this ) and how to edit them .
2. Undertake comprehensive gap analysis (start with critical alerts missing and get them enabled – code a correct script with right threshold and frequency)

Regards ,
Anuj
ankukreja

Post by ankukreja »

Please suggest .
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

This is somewhat complicated.

You'll need to look at all the services defined and look at the check_command. Then compare the check_command with how this is defined as a command and what arguments it takes against the arguments supplied with the service definition. You'll also have to do the same for the hosts defined.

Nagios does not have a central location to look at these things. This has to do with the flexibility of Nagios and how you can configure it to do what you want.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

ankukreja, please let us know if you need further assistance.
Former Nagios employee