French language support

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
bella

French language support

Post by bella »

I am running Nagios Core 4.0.8 on Redhat 6.4 and I need to be able to switch between English and French depending on language chosen at login. When I login with French environment the Apache environment (Firefox menus, etc) as well as the desktop are in French. However, when I use Nagios, it is still in English. I have tried setting LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEASUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL to French and exporting the variables in the httpd and nagios startup scripts but to no avail. I have tried setting the default language to French in /etc/sysconfig/i18n, again to no avail. I have tried fr_FR and fr_FR.utf8 for the previous tests - no difference.

I note that /usr/local/nagios/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES contains french strings so I believe it is possible to run the Nagios GUI with French translations but how do I map my environment to use it?
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: French language support

Post by jolson »

Hello,

We've been discussing this internally, and it looks like the LC_MESSAGES you mentioned are for the nagios-plugins and sysstat only. We have never seen the Core UI display in any language besides English, and no threads were found on the forums (or elsewhere) where the language of the GUI is changed successfully.

We have a Nagios Core developer that we can ask about this tomorrow - I will respond once more in this thread with his answer.

Best,

Jesse
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

Will get back to you about this sometime next week.
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
bella

Post by bella »

OK thanks.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

At this time there is not any Language translation for Nagios Core
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
bella

Post by bella »

So is it only available for Nagios XI or is there a plugin I can install that will allow me to use translation?
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

It looks like multi-language support is available in XI. Currently, the Nagios Core GUI is available in English only. I could not find any plugins that switch the language, unfortunately. Are there any other questions we could help you answer?
Twits Blog
bella

Post by bella »

Not at this time. Your last message clarifies the situation. It might only affect a small percentage of the potential Nagios community but this is useful to know as information when researching the tool before installation and I would recommend that it is included in the descriptions of the products, in some way, to help customers identify which product they should try.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

actually, there are other interfaces that may have some support, for example, V-Shell
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Ad ... ll/details
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
bella

Post by bella »

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.