Check file age

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
spiderpig

Check file age

Post by spiderpig »

Hi,

I am trying to monitor a .txt file on a windows server machine, if the file gets older than x days it should by flagged in Nagios.
I'm using https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... ck/details

I got it working on a linux
"./check_fileage.py -f /var/test.txt -w 1440 -c 2880"
but without a luck on a windows share, I even set the share and permission to everyone so that is not the issue.

what is the right syntax ?
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Check file age

Post by Box293 »

spiderpig wrote:but without a luck on a windows share, I even set the share and permission to everyone so that is not the issue.
What is the exact command you are using to check a file on a share?
How are you accessing the share?
Are you testing as the user nagios?

Code: Select all

su nagios
./check_fileage.py blah blah blah
As a side note, if your Windows servers have NSClient++ installed, then this functionality is already built in:

Check a folder to determine if any files exist that are older than two hours. Generate a critical alert if at least 1 file matches this criteria.

Command:
check_nrpe -H 192.168.142.137 -c CheckFiles -a path='D:\\Important Stuff\\Important File.txt' 'filter=written < -2h' 'master-syntax={%total% Files Found}' MaxCrit=1

Output when files matching criteria are found:
{3 Files Found}, found files: 3 > critical|'found files'=1;0;1

Output when NO files matching criteria are found:
{0 Files Found}|'found files'=0;0;1
I have a bunch of examples like this on my website:
https://sites.google.com/a/box293.com/n ... ders?pli=1
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
spiderpig

Post by spiderpig »

I was trying to use "./check_fileage.py -f \\server\test.txt -w 1440 -c 2880" as a root user
probably that is wrong :)

I tried running this on the nagios server but got an error.
check_nrpe -H myserver -c CheckFiles -a path='C:\\mypath\\test.txt' 'filter=written < -2h' 'master-syntax={%total% Files Found}' MaxCrit=1

"Unknown: No handler for that command"
Is this error because I'm using a old nsclient++ client?

I'm using a 0.3.8.76 2010-05-27 x64
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

spiderpig wrote:I was trying to use "./check_fileage.py -f \\server\test.txt -w 1440 -c 2880" as a root user
probably that is wrong :)
So you were actually trying to check the age of a file on an SMB share from a Linux/UNIX host? Normal \\UNCSERVER\UNCSHARE constructs don't work in most Linux/UNIX shells.

Can you be more descriptive about where you were running your python script and also where the file actually is? Is it local to the machine from which you're running the python script? Also is that machine in fact the Nagios server?
spiderpig

Post by spiderpig »

I'm trying to run the python script from the Nagios server(centos), the script is located in /var/tmp.
The file that I am trying to monitor is on a windows host, running the NSClient++ service.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

The high level process is that you'll have to move the script to Windows and make it run there.

After making it run on Windows you'll have to define a command in nsc.ini (you may wish to take advantage of the opportunity to upgrade, in which case it would be nsclient.ini)

Once your command is defined you'll be running check_nrpe from the Nagios host, directing it towards NRPE daemon on the Windows host which will execute your script.

That's the order of operations - but as Box293 said, nsclient++ has the ability built in and it will simplify the whole process. Use his example - but again, good time to upgrade so that you're on the same page he is. Often times the usage changes between nsclient++ versions.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

I did check using NSClient++ 0.3.8.76 and I got the same error "UNKNOWN: No handler for that command".

When trying the same command using NSClient++ 0.3.9.330 it worked.

I suggest upgrading the the 0.3.9 version of NSClient++, that will be the easiest option.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
spiderpig

Post by spiderpig »

Box293 wrote:I did check using NSClient++ 0.3.8.76 and I got the same error "UNKNOWN: No handler for that command".

When trying the same command using NSClient++ 0.3.9.330 it worked.

I suggest upgrading the the 0.3.9 version of NSClient++, that will be the easiest option.
Thank you, it worked now manually after I installed NSClient++ 0.39. What should I add in the host cfg file so it will work automatically with the other checks for this server ?
should I add in the nsc.ini on the client and also on in the host.cfg on ther server?
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

If it manually worked then your nsc.ini file doesn't require any additional changes.

Your check_command would look something like:

check_nrpe!CheckFiles!-a path='D:\\Important Stuff\\Important File.txt' 'filter=written < -2h' 'master-syntax={%total% Files Found}' MaxCrit=1
spiderpig

Post by spiderpig »

ok, but the big question is, where do I put this command?
should I put it in the .cfg for the server?