nagios core + windows 2008 + Raid controller help

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
stanna

nagios core + windows 2008 + Raid controller help

Post by stanna »

hello,

i was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction or better yet hold my hand to get a nagios server (CentOS 6.5) to monitor the RAID on a Windows 2008 or Windows 2012 server with an HP P212 RAID controller. i have searched these forums and the internet and found a few articles but none have seemed to work for me. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!
tmcdonald

Re: nagios core + windows 2008 + Raid controller help

Post by tmcdonald »

What have you tried so far that has not worked?
Former Nagios employee
stanna

Post by stanna »

Hi tmcdonald,

I had tried a few things which i think were only used for checking a linux operating system. I have since found check_hp which looks very promising..

i have extracted the contents into /usr/local/nagios/libexec/ (along with the mibs directory). I am now at a loss how to get it to check anything.. I have the basic Nagios core working on the CentOS server and it is checking a Windows server HDD, RAM, CPU and a few services without issue via NSClient++

i also have the snmp agents and other insight management software installed on the Windows 2008 R2 server i want to monitor the RAID and possible NIC aswell is possible but im afraid i dont know what to do next..

Thanks
stanna

Post by stanna »

i hope i am headed in the right direction as i have gone a little further with check_hp

as stated above i have extracted check_hp into the directory and verified it is running correctly.

i have now setup a command as per below

Code: Select all

define command {
        command_name check_hp
        command_line $USER$/check_hp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $ARG1$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$
i have also setup the service as per below

define service{
        use                     generic-service
        host_name               ABC
        service_description     HP-status
       	check_command           check_hp
        }
im sure i have the above wrong? but also do i need to change or add anything on the server in NSCLIENT++ for it to run the command?
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

If you run check_hp from the cli (with all required arguments) does it work?
If so, can you post the full command you are running from the cli?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
stanna

Post by stanna »

abrist wrote:If you run check_hp from the cli (with all required arguments) does it work?
If so, can you post the full command you are running from the cli?
Hi Abrist,

Thats the whole point, i cant find what the arguments are and i cannot run the command line directly as the server im wanting to check is offsite hence why i was using NSClient++, unless there is a way to run it from command and connect to the remote server?

unfortunatly i dont have a HP server inhouse i can use to test nor do i have a linux box at the remote site i can use for a test server either.

Thanks
slansing

Post by slansing »

Well it looks like check_hp, at least the way you have it defined, takes a host address, so there would be no NSClient++ involved at all... That being said, just by looking at that command you can sculpt one to run from the Nagios server and see what returns you get, try running:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_hp -h
That should give you help output and some example commands, that's really the only way you will be able to figure out what flags you need for the command, and in result, the arguments you'd use in your core configs. Once you have the flags you want, try:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_hp -H addr.of.remote.host
(start putting your flags and additions here, in your config it starts with -C, which may indicate a community string).
stanna

Post by stanna »

right... so i have been looking at this the wrong way around. I will instead open up the ports on the destination server to allow for SNMP and try again. I hope to have a somewhat idiot proof guide for getting this running after all this is done in the hope to assist other people who are in the same boat as me.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I'll be honest, in that I very much doubt the microsoft snmp server will support the additional oids of your raid controller. You would be much better served to see if there are performance data, wmi, or scriptable checks that could be run on the windows system directly. Per the check_hp guys, you might be able to run the Compaq/HPs Insight Manager SNMP Agents software and get the oids you are looking for though!
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
stanna

Post by stanna »

Thanks for the recommendation sreinhardt. This have been pretty hectic at the office this year so far so this project has been put on the back burner for the time being. I hope to revisit this in the coming weeks to get it all up and running.