Notifications and scheduled downtime

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Brainslug

Notifications and scheduled downtime

Post by Brainslug »

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum, I hope this is the right place to ask for help.

I recently upgraded from Nagios 3.5 to 4.1 and today I noticed an issue with notifications for hosts in scheduled downtime. The problem is that if a host is in scheduled downtime and the downtime gets canceled manually while the host is still down, Nagios will not send out any notifications. The old 3.5 install did and I need this feature back.

Steps to reproduce:

* schedule a downtime for a host
* take host offline while in downtime
* cancel downtime while host is still down
* wait for notification...

Is there a way I can fix this and have Nagios send out notifications about the host problem once there is no more downtime scheduled?

I will do more testing and see if the problem also exists if downtime expires (instead of being canceled) and if the problem also affects service problems or only host problems. But maybe someone has already some input as to why this no longer works in 4.1?

Thanks much,

- B
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Notifications and scheduled downtime

Post by dwhitfield »

I'm not sure when
Notifications are not sent for active alerts after scheduled downtime ends (John Frickson)
was introduced but it was fixed in 4.2.2. 4.2.3 is the current version. I know you just went through an upgrade, but the instructions are at https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ading.html. There are many upgrades, bug fixes, and security fixes between 4.1.x and 4.2.3, so I would highly recommend an upgrade to the latest version.
Last edited by dwhitfield on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added "was introduced"
Brainslug

Post by Brainslug »

Hi dwhitfield,

thank you very much for your quick reply and the pointers. I guess that explains it... i will look into upgrading once more.

Thanks again,

- B
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

You're welcome! Do you want to close the thread or leave it open in case you run into issues with the next upgrade? You can always submit a new one and reference this one.
Brainslug

Post by Brainslug »

I have successfully upgraded one of my servers to 4.2.3 and the issue seems to be resolved.
Closing this topic is fine, I guess, I just can't figure out how to do that...

Thanks again for your help.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Apologies for my confusing question. I should have asked, "Do you want us to close the thread?"

Fantastic that the upgrade fixed the issue! I'll go ahead and close the thread.