dbmaint user is not configured after upgrade to 2024R1.1.1

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
KarenJ

dbmaint user is not configured after upgrade to 2024R1.1.1

Post by KarenJ »

We recently upgraded our RHEL8 box from 5.11.3 to 2024R1.1.1. We are not getting any updates via the Nagios XI Web GUI. However, Nagios Core is showing host and service checks all running fine. I've confirmed that apache and php are running. And I've looked through the logs. One thing I found is that the dbmaint.php is failing with:

Fri, 10 May 2024 14:10:03 +0000 LOCKFILE '/usr/local/nagiosxi/var/dbmaint.lock' IS OLD - REMOVING
Fri, 10 May 2024 14:10:03 +0000 CREATING: /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/dbmaint.lock
The dbmaint user is not configured!

Is this account created as part of the upgrade? I looked on my 5.11.3 system and this account doesn't exist there either. However that system is working fine.
swolf
Developer

Re: dbmaint user is not configured after upgrade to 2024R1.1.1

Post by swolf »

Hi @KarenJ, thanks for reaching out.

Yes, we added a separate user for the database maintenance background job, due to concerns about the main application being able to modify its own audit log.

In MySQL, there should be an additional user named dbmaint_nagiosxi, and the nagiosxi user should no longer be able to modify/delete records from the xi_auditlog table. In /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/config.inc.php, there should be a db_info entry for nagiosxi with entries for dbmaint_user and dbmaint_pwd.

I would recommend opening a case on Answer Hub so that the Support Team can collect additional information about your environment and help you to troubleshoot this.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy