Nagios-Web Application Development

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jackples

Nagios-Web Application Development

Post by jackples »

Hello,

I have already worked with the monitoring of network devices but with a commercial product.

I come to the point. I was asked to monitor a specific Web Application. Let's say that on every server runs an instance of this Web Application. I would just monitor this Web Application. I decided to use Nagios is because it seems the best open source product for my needs. But before offering it as a permanent solution and excellent I would have confirmations from you, if you always want to help me.

Let me know if I can achieve with Nagios as follows:
  • Use only the core or at least all the forms necessary for the operation of Nagios.
  • If Nagios provides API for all the features offered, type API for discovery, API for authentication and authorization, API imposare thresholds for alarms etc .... etc ..
  • If I can, to implement a Web-UI according to my specifications
  • If I can extend the remote agent NRPE with new scripts so you can monitor other resources. NRPE then customize according to what I need.
Thank you in advance for answers.
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Nagios-Web Application Development

Post by Box293 »

jackples wrote:Use only the core or at least all the forms necessary for the operation of Nagios.
Nagios XI uses core as it's engine and an array of add-ons that give extra features. If you wanted to build your own server running core you can, but a lot of the extra stuff that Nagios XI gives you will not exist.

jackples wrote:If Nagios provides API for all the features offered, type API for discovery, API for authentication and authorization, API imposare thresholds for alarms etc .... etc ..
Nagios XI has an API available:
http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... nd_API.pdf
Nagios XI can also use the Core API's:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/cgis.html
http://labs.nagios.com/2014/06/19/explo ... -7-part-1/

jackples wrote:If I can, to implement a Web-UI according to my specifications
Nagios XI has the ability to create Dashboards which allow you to add Dashlets to create custom pages.
You can also code your own PHP pages and add extra components / dashlets

jackples wrote:If I can extend the remote agent NRPE with new scripts so you can monitor other resources. NRPE then customize according to what I need.
Nagios has a basic specification for plugins which makes it such a flexible platform. NRPE is just one of the many ways you can extend the capabilities of Nagios using the plugin specifications.
https://nagios-plugins.org/doc/guidelines.html
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
jackples

Post by jackples »

Thanks for the answers.

One last question. I can storare data to a DBMS as PostgreSQL or MySQL to create reports in the future?

Thanks.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Are you asking if you can use a DBMS instead of the postgreq and mysql databases for XI? If that is the question then no, you cannot. You could connect to those databases though, remotely, and pull reports.
jackples

Post by jackples »

No, my question is, if I can store data from Nagios monitoring in a my fovorite DBMS.
slansing

Post by slansing »

The answer is no, from XI's perspective. However, like I mentioned, you could pull that data into your DBMS from the XI server and take a look at it there. Nagios XI uses a MySQL database for it's historical information, which is easy enough to connect into remotely once configured to allow that.
jackples

Post by jackples »

You may, therefore, explain to me how I can access the monitoring data stored for each monitored host?

Thanks.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You may, therefore, explain to me how I can access the monitoring data stored for each monitored host?
Can you give us a specific example? What is the data that you are trying to query?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jackples

Post by jackples »

For example, the historical trend of the results of the ping to the host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Historical trends of performance data are stored in RRDs. The performance data graphs / graph explorer should represent the data in the RRD. You can also dump the entire contents of an RRD to xml with:

Code: Select all

rrdtool dump /usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata/<hostname>/<service_description>.rrd
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.