distributed monitoring

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
midiy

distributed monitoring

Post by midiy »

Moderator Edit:

This thread has been moved from the "Product Announcements & Feedback" section.

In the future, please make sure you are posting in the correct area of the forum.

Hi,

I would like to use distributed monitoring feature of nagios xi. actually i want to monitor hosts and services monitored in a nagios core via a nagios xi, i read some docs about NRDP but its not clear what i should do. Can someone help me ?

Thanks and Regards,
midiya
sanasudha

Re: distributed monitoring

Post by sanasudha »

Probably not everybody has the same understanding of the term ‘Distributed Monitoring’. In fact monitoring is always distributed over multiple computers, unless the monitoring system is only monitoring itself – which wouldn't be very useful.

In this handbook we therefore always refer to a distributed monitoring when the monitoring system as a whole consists of more than a single Check_MK-instance. There are a number of good reasons for splitting monitoring over multiple instances:

Performance: The processor load should, or must be shared over multiple machines.
Organisation: Various different groups should be able to administer their own instances independently.
Availability: The monitoring at one location should function independently of other locations.
Security: Data streams between two security domains should be separately and precisely controlled (DMZ, etc.)
Network: Locations that have only narrow band or unreliable connections cannot be reliably remote-monitored.
https://www.besanttechnologies.com/devo ... rathahalli
DevOps training in Marathahalli by certified professionals. Become an experienced DevOps Engineer from the Best DevOps Training Institute in Marathahalli .
https://www.besanttechnologies.com/devo ... rathahalli
tmcdonald

Re: distributed monitoring

Post by tmcdonald »

A few notes:

@midiy please make sure to post in the correct section of the forum in the future.

@sanasudha I have approved your post, but it is borderline advertising. We don't mind if people want to promote their courses as long as the content is relevant AND your post adequately answers the question posed.

----------

Back to the question at hand: Distributed monitoring can be done many ways, but if you are looking at using a Core system with NRDP then we'll need to know what specifically is not working so we can help. The basic workflow is that Core servers will perform (typically active) checks against their configured hosts and services, then will send the results back to XI by submitting that data to the NRDP listener on the XI server. This effectively turns those check results into passive checks.

I'm not sure what docs you have read, but this is the one I would definitely recommend starting with: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... h-NRDP.pdf
Former Nagios employee