Issues with account mappings

This support forum board is for questions relating to Nagios Fusion.
TBT

Issues with account mappings

Post by TBT »

Fusion 4.1.3, XI 5.4.8

1. Creating a NEW user, under Manage Automatic Logins, mapping fields are populated with accounts from the various Fused XI hosts.

2. Editing nagiosadmin, the account mapping fields are empty in the GUI.

3a. Editing an account that had mappings set upon creation, the account mapping fields are empty in the GUI.

3b. Using the account with mappings applied on creation, when navigating to a Fused server the account mapping isn't passed-though (automatic login) and returns a login page for the XI host.

Please advise,
Nagios XI 5.7.5 (9 Servers)
Nagios Fusion 4.1.9
cnorell
Developer

Re: Issues with account mappings

Post by cnorell »

Hey TBT,

Before we jump into technical troubleshooting, I would like to make sure we are on the same page regarding what each section does - as our support team has not been able to replicate these issues on our end.

The section pictured below is the 'Server User Mapping' section, shown when creating a new user. This section is responsible for limiting what polled XI data your Fusion user can see. The user mapping dropdown menus are populated with all users from the matching XI server that are defined and active. When you select a user here, your Fusion user will only be able to see what the selected user can see on the fused XI server. This section is also not related to automatic logins.
user_mapping.png
The other section relevant to our issues is the 'Manage Automatic Logins' section, shown when viewing a user's account information, pictured below. This section is what allows you to login by clicking on a server from the 'Servers' menu item in the top navigation bar. However, if the information here is incorrect, or empty, you will be presented with a login screen for the XI server you are attempting to login to.
automatic_logins.png
The issues you are having could potentially be explained by confusing these two sections. If there is anything you would like me to expand on, please don't hesitate to ask.

If that was already your understanding of those sections, then let me know, and we will jump into more technical troubleshooting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TBT

Post by TBT »

Reviewing the documentation again, along with your explanation, I believe I've misunderstood how this new version works. The confusion came from Edit under Manage User NOT bing the same as the Edit user setting from the header menu. Along with the term "Map" in documentation. My mistake.

A few more questions if I may.

1. Under Manage Users > Edit > Server User Mapping: If set to "No Mapping", which credentials does this default from?

2. We have 60+ users in Fusion. If users are to Manage Automatic Logins under personal settings, they would need to manually manage username and password credentials for eight (8) XI hosts. If we decided to use Active Directory for logins (both Fusion and XI) and our password policy forces users to change their password ever 2 months, is there an option to keep Automatic Logins in sync or will they be required to update these 8 sets of credentials manually?
Nagios XI 5.7.5 (9 Servers)
Nagios Fusion 4.1.9
cnorell
Developer

Post by cnorell »

Addressing your questions in order:

1. If you do not specify a mapped user in the 'Server User Mapping' section, then that user will be able to see everything Fusion polls from the associated XI server. If you want to limit what they see, you need to map them to an XI user.

2. They will have to manually update their password, at least for now. We don't yet have an implementation that will update the password you are authenticating against for XI on the Fusion side. Just off the top of my head, I believe we would need to pass that password from the Active Directory server, to XI, then to Fusion, while keeping it secure along the way.

That being said, I will submit a feature request, and talk to our product development manager about whether that is something we can get into the next version of Fusion or not.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.