Update from 5.2.7 to 5.2.8 issues

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jacek

Update from 5.2.7 to 5.2.8 issues

Post by jacek »

Hi,

noticed 2 issues after updating from 5.2.7 to 5.2.8 today (all SNMP related, the 2nd one not solved):

1. "ERROR: running table : Message size exceeded maxMsgSize".
Fixed this by following this thread -> https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 320#p22328
But why did this change? I didn't change anything in our Win servers?

2. SNMP services check fails at SQL services called 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)', etc.
The XI check looks like that:

Code: Select all

check_xi_service_snmp_win_service! -C our_community --v2c -r -n 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)'
The Core ARG check part looks like that:

-C our_community --v2c -r -n 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)'
I've compared the check with our test server (5.2.7) and all checks are missing the "-r" option.
Removing the "-r" option does NOT do the trick.

Using the "-r" gives this error:

"SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" not active : CRITICAL
Using it without "-r" gives this error:

No services matching "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" found : CRITICAL
It looks to me like the brackets are messing something up with regexp.
If I run the "Test Command" from core I see that the brackets are escaped with "/" on both the 5.2.7 and 5.2.8.

When I run the command from SSH only this one works giving the OK state (and picks the right service, looking at the verbose output):

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp_win.pl -H FQDN.com -C our_community --v2c -n 'SQL Server \(MSSQLSERVER\)' -v
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Update from 5.2.7 to 5.2.8 issues

Post by Box293 »

slytheer wrote:1. "ERROR: running table : Message size exceeded maxMsgSize".
Fixed this by following this thread -> https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 320#p22328
But why did this change? I didn't change anything in our Win servers?
The plugin on the Nagios server may have been replaced during the upgrade. You may have modified it in the past.
slytheer wrote:2. SNMP services check fails at SQL services called 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)', etc.
If I run the "Test Command" from core I see that the brackets are escaped with "/" on both the 5.2.7 and 5.2.8.
When I run the command from SSH only this one works giving the OK state (and picks the right service, looking at the verbose output):

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp_win.pl -H FQDN.com -C our_community --v2c -n 'SQL Server \(MSSQLSERVER\)' -v
Due to some issues with how PHP escapes characters the "Test Check Command" does not work in these situations and should be ignored.

So for all further testing of this service you need to:

Make the changes to the service
Save the Service
Apply Configuration
Go back to the home screen and find the Service
When viewing the Service Status Details page click the Schedule a forced immediate check link

Just to re-iterate, for all further testing for this service DO NOT use the "Test Check Command" button, follow the steps above.

Seeing as you have correctly tested it at the command line in an ssh session, proceed to update the service in CCM to reflect the command in SSH and then follow the testing steps above.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
jacek

Post by jacek »

Hi,

understood, I managed to solve this problem, but this is a work around, which I don't like, since the Windows SNMP Wizard creates services that don't work.

In the XI service re-configuration command needs to use the "\" bracket escape, otherwise it won't work and this is the only configuration that seems to be working:

check_xi_service_snmp_win_service! -C our_community --v2c -n 'SQL Server \(MSSQLSERVER\)'
The wizard (tested) generates such an output (which doesn't work):

check_xi_service_snmp_win_service! -C our_community --v2c -n 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)'
Is there a way to fix this? Revert some component to the 5.2.7 version?
Is there a known reason why this stopped working after the update??
Should I revert to the 5.2.7? Is this possible when I'm having the DB on a separate machine? (to get the data synced)

P.S. with the "-r" switch this doesn't work also, I assume that the switch is used to find the exact service, and not mismatch it with an similar named one?
The "-r" switch was not used in the 5.2.7 version.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

It seems like that these issues are caused by downgrading the "check_snmp_win.pl" plugin from ver. 1.2 to ver. 0.6. I already posted an internal bug report (TASK ID 8647).
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

lmiltchev wrote:It seems like that these issues are caused by downgrading the "check_snmp_win.pl" plugin from ver. 1.2 to ver. 0.6. I already posted an internal bug report (TASK ID 8647).
Ahhh ... then to go back to the latest version of the plugin do the following:

Download the wizard from here:
https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/A ... rd/details
Upload it via Admin > System Extensions > Manage Config Wizards

This will replace the existing plugins with the newer ones.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
jacek

Post by jacek »

@Box293, this didn't help either, but I managed to solve the problem.

The wizard You sent is an old, 1.4.1 version which doesn't even scan processes and services, etc.
My check_snmp_win.pl was 1.2.
But the check_snmp_win.pl in the 1.4.1 package is in fact the 1.1 version (1.2 is the newest, but there is only one option added, no noticeable differences in the "-r" switch region).

This didn't do the trick.
I decided to go back to the newest wizard -> updated it using the "Check for updates" and "Install update" buttons on the XI interface, which brought my wizard back to the 1.4.7 version.

Now everything seems to be working, which is weird.
"-r" switch is working again, and there is no need to use the bracket escape backslashes, this command works now:

check_xi_service_snmp_win_service! -C our_community --v2c -r -n 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)'
So for me it looks like:
  • some files have been replaced during the 5.2.7->5.2.8 update (with faulty/old ones),
  • installing of the 1.4.1 version of wizard didn't replace them,
  • along with reinstalling of the newest wizard (1.4.7) they have been replaced.
I see also that on my 5.2.7 machine the wizard version is 1.4.4, but I don't remember when I've last updated the wizard.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

Am I right in understanding you were able to solve this issue? Is it ok if we close this thread and mark as resolved?
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
jacek

Post by jacek »

I have resolved my problem, but I don't know why this happened.
I provided all info in my previous post, so You maybe would know why this happened.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

It is hard to say what happened after the fact. When I was testing the upgrade from 5.2.7 to 5.2.8, my "check_snmp_win.pl" plugin got downgraded from ver. 1.2 to ver. 0.6. Your plugin's version was 1.2 though... so I suppose we can rule out the plugin's version as the main cause of the issue. :(

In regards to the "Windows SNMP" wizard, mine was ver. 1.4.6, not 1.4.4 (in Nagios XI 5.2.7) but it is possible that I upgraded it sometime in the past. BTW, it is not guaranteed that components/wizards will get upgraded on Nagios XI version upgrade. You need to check for newer versions manually. For example, when I click on the "Check for Updates" button under the "Manage Configuration Wizards" page, I can see that version 1.4.7 of the "Windows SNMP" wizard is available for download (even in Nagios XI 5.2.7).
example01.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jacek

Post by jacek »

Yes, I noticed that some components don't get updated along with the "global" update, so I'm used to check if there is something new.
P.S.
As we are discussing there is one thing that I'm trying to find - is there a place in which I can see the changelog of plugins/wizards and the main XI system?
Sometimes when I update components or the whole system I would like to know what I might expect, etc. :-)