Updating existing switches w/ wizard

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
joveroc

Re: Updating existing switches w/ wizard

Post by joveroc »

tgriep wrote:When you select the Description option in the Wizard, it shows both the name and the description in the wizard but after you finish the wizard, are both the names and descriptions in the service check?
Correct. I select Description option but it shows the "Port Name Port Description" in the Description column. I have added a screenshot.
portdesc.png
Also - The field with the editable box is "Service Description" which is not any of the options in the wizard but appears to be the data that it is taking to create the check. I don't recall if service description was used before, seems new. Seems like the wizard used to move the editable box to whatever you selected in the wizard before Port Number/Port Name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

When I run the wizard and select the Description option, the Port Description matches the Service Description Field.
Switch-Description.PNG
Maybe your device has the Port name in the description field as well as the description.
We can see this by running a snmpwalk against the device. Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP address and if the community string is not public, you will have to change that as well
snmpwalk xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c public -v 2c -Os
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
joveroc

Post by joveroc »

Here are the references I found:

IF-MIB::ifAlias.526648832 = STRING: A3-HV1 NW1
IF-MIB::ifDescr.526648832 = STRING: Ethernet101/1/25
IF-MIB::ifName.526648832 = STRING: Ethernet101/1/25

The field I want appears to be Alias, but is not selectable in wizard. This is the standard "description XXXX" port command on Cisco NX-OS that I am using to create port names. It is as if snmpwalk is identifying it incorrectly.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

The wizard doesn't use the snmpwalk command to interrogate the devices, it uses the cfgmaker to generate the MRTG config files that are used to gather the bandwidth information and is parses that file to get that information. I took a quick look at the old code and it didn't seen to look at the alias for the service description field.
joveroc

Post by joveroc »

Thank you for your assistance. It sounds like this is working as intended, I will just need to modify the ports manually and remove the part of the description I do not want for now.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

OK, let us know if you have anymore questions or that we can close and lock up the post.