Cannot send out test email - invalid FROM address

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
genna

Cannot send out test email - invalid FROM address

Post by genna »

Hi,
I have Nagios XI 5.4.10 running on RHEL 7.
I'm trying to configure outgoing email via SMTP. I ahve checked connectivity and I can telnet from my XI server to my SMTP on port 25.
Our SMTP server is configured to check for "from" address and it is blocking root@localhost.I have set "from" email address on System Settings page to "au.donotreply@fisglobal.com" which is allowed address. But when I try to send a test email I get this error message:
[11-20-2017 11:12:47] The following From address failed: root@localhost : Called MAIL FROM without being connected,,,SMTP server error: Called MAIL FROM without being connectedSMTP server error: Called MAIL FROM without being connected (method=smtp;host=10.132.204.112;port=25;security=none), Referer: admin/testemail.php

I have changes nagiosadmin account email address to the same; tried to bounce httpd service hoping it would clear the cache but nothing doing - XI still uses root@localhost.

Thanks
Genna
genna

Re: Cannot send out test email - invalid FROM address

Post by genna »

Hi
Please ignore - the answer was right in front of my eyes. I tried to configure "Manage email settings" before changing "Administrator Email:" address in "System Settings" so the "Send Mail From:" value was generated based on the old email address. I understand why you don't want to change that value automatically when changing System Settings, but at least a warning message would be nice.
Feel free to close this
Thanks
Genna
kyang

Re: Cannot send out test email - invalid FROM address

Post by kyang »

Sounds good! I'll be closing this thread!

If you have any more questions, feel free to create another thread.

Thanks for using the Nagios Support Forum!