Create a custom account

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
bosecorp

Create a custom account

Post by bosecorp »

I would like to create a Nagios account for one of my users and give him view right to only his hosts. how do I do that?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Create a custom account

Post by lmiltchev »

Create a "regular" user with no "extra" permissions (Admin > Manage Users), then add the user as a "monitoring contact" only to the hosts that you want him/her to see.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
bosecorp

Post by bosecorp »

how do we add the user as a "monitoring contact" to the hosts and can we add it to host groups?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You can add contacts to hosts (not to hostgroups). Adding contacts to hosts in bulk is very easy via the "Bulk Modifications Tool" that is part of Nagios XI Enterprise Edition.

CCM > Tools > Bulk Modifications Tool

Select your contact, select host and/or services, save changes and apply configuration.
example01.PNG
If you don't have Enterprise or if your Enterprise trial is expired, you would have to add monitoring contacts under the CCM.

CCM > Hosts > your host > Alert Settings > Manage Contacts > your contact(s) > Add Selected > Save > Apply Configuration
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bosecorp

Post by bosecorp »

I have Nagios XI Enterprise Edition. I want to assign 400 Host and 7000 services, that is why it is kind of difficult to do that one by one. and I need to replicate that to other departments (5), if initial one is successful. we are talking about 50 to 150 hosts each and 500 to 1000 services.

what you gave me is great (thank you), but I was hoping to get a more realistic approach based on the size of my environment.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Do you happen to have those hosts and services in host groups and service groups? If you assign a contact to a host/service groups you are able to apply them all at once. Which is better than 1 by 1 host/service?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I have Nagios XI Enterprise Edition. I want to assign 400 Host and 7000 services, that is why it is kind of difficult to do that one by one.
You don't need to add the contact to all hosts/services "one by one". With the Bulk Modification Tool, you could select/add multiple (even all objects with "one go"). You could hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, and click on all hosts/services you would like the contact to be added to... or you could click on one host/service hold the button, and "drag down" with the mouse... or you could select the first item in the list, hold the Shift key, and click on the last item. The last action will select all objects.

Have you tried adding your contact to multiple hosts?

Again, this should be really easy thing to do. You could even "filter" hosts/search for a pattern, which will help you find specific names in the list.