Tried installing pnp4nagios, broke performance grapher.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ljblom

Tried installing pnp4nagios, broke performance grapher.

Post by ljblom »

I tried installing pnp4nagios, and it's taken down my performance grapher entirely... I'm tried to revert back, but am having no luck getting the grapher back online, and need to get it up ASAP! Thank you in advance for any help.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Tried installing pnp4nagios, broke performance grapher.

Post by lmiltchev »

Installing pnp4nagios on Nagios XI is not supported. I would recommend reverting to a previous, working snapshot (before you install pnp4nagios).

CCM > Quick Tools > Configuration Snapshots > Restore
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
ljblom

Post by ljblom »

I did that, but the performance grapher is still error-ing out.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

This means that more files (not only the nagios config files) were affected by installing the pnp4nagios. Can you describe all of the steps you took and guides that you followed while installing the pnp4nagios? This can help us troubleshoot the issue.

Also, you could try fixing the issue by going to the pnp directory, and running the install script:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp/nagiosxi/subcomponents/pnp
./install
You will also need to look under the "/etc/httpd/conf.d" directory to see if you have any added (extra) configs for php4nagios.

P.S. Is your Nagios XI instance on a physical box or on a VM? If it's on a VM, do you have any snapshots, created before installing pnp4nagios?
ljblom

Post by ljblom »

I used a couple guides:

https://geekpeek.net/pnp4nagios-centos-install/
https://docs.pnp4nagios.org/pnp-0.6/config

And I also referred to a forum post that:

https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 6&p=156443

I also tried running the /tmp/nagiosxi/subcomponents/pnp install script, but I do not have the /tmp/nagiosxi/subcomponents/ directory...

The server is a physical box, not a VM. I tried reverting to a snapshot from before the pnp4nagios install, but the graphing is still not working.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

To get that directory run this

cd /tmp
wget https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagiosxi/xi-latest.tar.gz
tar xzf xi-latest.tar.gz
cd /tmp/nagiosxi
Then here

cd /tmp/nagiosxi/subcomponents/pnp
./install
If that doesn't work, we need to know exactly what was changed, and then I would suggest opening a ticket and send in your profile and we can look at the logs in it as will as some of the configuration.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
ljblom

Post by ljblom »

Thank you for the reply. I installed the subcomponents directory and installed pnp, unfortunately it didn't do the trick.

I have removed all the pnp4nagios files/directories that came with the download, and reverted the nagios.cfg file. But, nothing is being sent to /usr/local/nagios/var/spool/perfdata. From the UI it shows that the performance grapher is working (green), and from each of the hosts and services it shows that perf data is at least being collected. Please advise on what logs would be helpful, thank you!
ljblom

Post by ljblom »

I actually just got it working... The pnp4nagios modified the commands.cfg file, specifically the process-service-perfdata-file and process-host-perfdata-file. They were both appended with "-bulk", once removed and the directories restored, performance graphing has resumed. Thank you for the help none the less!
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Reverting to a snapshot, prior to pnp4nagios install should have restored your modified commands... It is strange that this didn't work for you. In any case, I am glad that your issue has been resolved! Is it ok to lock this topic now?
ljblom

Post by ljblom »

That's what I thought as well, I'm not sure why it didn't work with the snapshot. I'm hoping there's not some more bugs lurking in the future... Anyways, thanks for the quick replies!