Can not add Upgraded Virtual Center Manager to Nagios

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
huskgrah

Can not add Upgraded Virtual Center Manager to Nagios

Post by huskgrah »

I have tried to add the new ESXi 6.5 environment to Nagios vmware monitoring. I deleted the old hosts and and other objects from Nagios XI but when I try to add the new environment I get the error, "The vCenter Server you have selected already has an existing Nagios HOST objects." I have done my best to reconfigure but I am not able to return the vmware monitoring to functionality.

Please help
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Can not add Upgraded Virtual Center Manager to Nagios

Post by scottwilkerson »

huskgrah wrote:... but when I try to add the new environment I get the error ...
I'm a little confused on which way you are trying to setup monitoring of the vCenter server, are you running the the VMware Wizard?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
huskgrah

Post by huskgrah »

Here is the situation.
I was running a VMware EXSi 5.5 environment. I have upgraded to a ESXi 6.5 environment. The problem began when I did not do a upgrade, but created a new Virtual Center Manager with a different name but the same IP as the old Virtual Center Manager. My virtual environment is humming along beautifully but the new virtual center was disconnected from the vMA server and so I deleted the monitoring entries in Nagios, Hosts, Datastores and Virtual Center to completely rebuild the monitoring. I have re-installed and verified the the vCenter, vMA and Nagios XI connections. However when I go to re-create the objects through VMware Virtualizing Wizard, I get the message that host objects still exist and can not be added. Because of that the configuration will not save without an error and the new virtual center manager can not be configured.
huskgrah

Post by huskgrah »

1519335709.tar.gz
Here is a failed configuration file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I see you are using the "VMware Virtualization Wizard", this isn't standard part of Nagios XI (created by a community member) so it threw me off a minute.

You would need to remove all the old hosts & services through the Core Configuration Manager.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
huskgrah

Post by huskgrah »

That has already been done. I can not see any references to the old virtual center manager or the vmware hosts or datastores. However, I found a previously posted article about someone else having the same problem.

No vmware objects found with box293 plugins It was moved to E-mail support and can not see how it was resolved.

I have also logged in to the virtual center manager with the "readonly" I called it Nagios-View, to my virtual center and it shows all the Data Center objects, from hosts through data stores and virtual machines.
huskgrah

Post by huskgrah »

Here are the vMA component results.
virtual-center-credentials.jpg
virtual-center-ping.jpg
vma-ssh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I am not familiar enough with this 3rd party wizard to know what you are experiencing, but I do know the author. I'm going to contact him and see if he can chime in on this.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
huskgrah

Post by huskgrah »

Thank you very much
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

The wizard is detecting that there is an existing HOST object for the vCenter server "VC-MGR65-v.ad.technomuses.ca".

The message you are seeing in the wizard is not an error, it's simply informative. The wizard re-uses this host object instead of overwriting it.

If you go into CCM > Monitoring > Hosts > you should be able to find that object and delete it (and then apply config). If you cannot find it, are you able to successfully apply configuration?

I looked at your configs and could not find it however I did find the /usr/local/nagios/etc/services/nkbrqsfM.tmp.cfg that references it in the check command however there is not host object.

It sounds like you have a config database issue. Please refer to this KB article for troubleshooting config issues:
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... d-144.html

Let us know how you go
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.