Disabling Flapping notification and consequences with alarms

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
davide.bonicelli

Disabling Flapping notification and consequences with alarms

Post by davide.bonicelli »

Hi, if i disable the flapping notification i will not receive the email for the start and the end of flapping state and that's fine.
But will i receive a mail for problem resolution?
For example:
host.domain.com goes down for 10 minutes, nagios write a mail for this
host.domain.com start to flapping up and down for 1 hour, no mail for this..fine
after 1 hour host.domain.com goes up finally stable..nagios will email for this or not?

because it's fine not to receive email if the host stay down..but it's a problem if the host back up
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Disabling Flapping notification and consequences with al

Post by lmiltchev »

When a host/service recovers from a flapping state, nagios will send a "FLAPPINGSTOP" notification if flapping is enabled, and "RECOVERY" notification if the flapping is disabled.
When a service or host stops flapping, Nagios Core will:

1. Log a message indicating that the service or host has stopped flapping.
2. Delete the comment that was originally added to the service or host when it started flapping.
3. Send a "flapping stop" notification for the host or service to appropriate contacts.
4. Remove the block on notifications for the service or host (notifications will still be bound to the normal notification logic).
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... pping.html

Having said that, you could disable flapping and/or recovery notifications on the host/service level if you wish. In addition to this, any xi user (who is also a monitoring contact) could modify his/her notification preferences, and not receive these notifications (even if they are enabled on a host/service level). To learn more about how to configure email and text notifications, please review our official documentation on the topic below:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
davide.bonicelli

what i would need is that i not receive flapping start and flapping stop (and i already know how to set up this), but always receive the recover message.
is that possible?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

If this case, you could disable the flapping globally by going to Home > Monitoring Process > Process Info > Flap Detection > Disable.

This way, you won't be receiving FLAPPINGSTART and FLAPPINGSTOP notifications, and you will be receiving the recovery notifications.

Note: The only possible negative consequence could be some false notifications, caused by temporary network issues, "problem" hosts/services, etc. If this happens, you could just increase the max_check_attempts value on the "problem" host/service. This way, the host/service would be rechecked more times, before going to a hard non-ok state.
davide.bonicelli

Thanks for the reply but it's doesn't sound good to me.
With more than 600 host disabling the flapping detection i think it's very dangerous in terms of possible spam..
And i can't wait 1 hour to know if 1 host have problem (increasing the numbers of recheck)
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

davide.bonicelli wrote:Thanks for the reply but it's doesn't sound good to me.
With more than 600 host disabling the flapping detection i think it's very dangerous in terms of possible spam..
And i can't wait 1 hour to know if 1 host have problem (increasing the numbers of recheck)
you may want to fine tune your alerts to account for this.
davide.bonicelli

ok, so the final answer is: no, is not possible :/
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

It is not possible because these are different things. FLAPPINGSTOP notifications are not the same as Recovery ones... The configuration directives in host and service configs are different:

Code: Select all

notification_options	[d,u,r,f,s]
notification_options	[w,u,c,r,f,s]
f = send notifications when the service starts and stops flapping
r = send notifications on recoveries (OK state)
If a host or a service recovers from a hard non-ok state, a recovery notification will be sent out, unless this host/service has been flapping (and the flapping is enabled). In this case, you will be receiving a FLAPPINGSTOP notification. This is by design and it cannot be changed.