Modifying a host via the REST API

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Matthew.Cary

Modifying a host via the REST API

Post by Matthew.Cary »

In our ongoing quest to use the rest API to automate the provisioning of Nagios XI I have another question:

I understand how to add a host via the API, and I know how to delete a host via the API, but how does one *modify* a host? What if I want to use the API to add or remove a hostgroup from an existing host? Or change the Template it is using?

I don't seem to be able to find this in the documentation.
krutaw

Re: Modifying a host via the REST API

Post by krutaw »

Matthew.Cary wrote:In our ongoing quest to use the rest API to automate the provisioning of Nagios XI I have another question:

I understand how to add a host via the API, and I know how to delete a host via the API, but how does one *modify* a host? What if I want to use the API to add or remove a hostgroup from an existing host? Or change the Template it is using?

Yup, we do it all the time, though probably not how you think. When we goto "modify" a host, we first make a call to read the host properties to build the necessary post data, and then append/replace the necessary bits that need to change. Then we simply post to add the host again on the nagios server where it lives (I have a small fleet of them.) When you re-add the host, it'll simply overwrite the existing host entry, keeping the same table ID's in the backend nagiosql database.

Hope that helps! ;)
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

@Matthew.Cary As krutaw mentioned, modifying via the REST API is possible by re-adding the host, overwrting the "old" object. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
krutaw

Post by krutaw »

krutaw wrote:
Matthew.Cary wrote:In our ongoing quest to use the rest API to automate the provisioning of Nagios XI I have another question:

Yup, we do it all the time, though probably not how you think. When we goto "modify" a host, we first make a call to read the host properties to build the necessary post data, and then append/replace the necessary bits that need to change. Then we simply post to add the host again on the nagios server where it lives (I have a small fleet of them.) When you re-add the host, it'll simply overwrite the existing host entry, keeping the same table ID's in the backend nagiosql database.

Hope that helps! ;)
I forgot to mention that if you have multiple Nagios servers that you check to see which server a given host is monitored by before submitting the post so that you don't end up doing double the monitoring by accident. I literally wrote a "get_host" function for my chatops script that determines which of my 5 nagios servers a given server is monitored by so I don't accidentally duplicate effort.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

Thanks, @krutaw! That's a good note.
@Matthew.Cary, Let us know if you have any questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.