Nagios XI macro vs variables questions

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
dfmco

Nagios XI macro vs variables questions

Post by dfmco »

I am using AWS to send alerts. I am passing standard macros in the alerts ($HOSTNAME$, $HOSTSTATE$). I would like to add the %alertsummary% but wanted to make sure that the notification variable would be appropriate in the command. Here is the command line. It is a custom command.

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /home/nagios/.local/bin/aws sns publish --topic-arn REDACTED:CAECD_CRIT --subject "Onshore IT CAECD Host Alert $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" --message "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ CAECD Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ Date/Time: $LONGDATETIME$ Duration: $HOSTDURATION$ Info: $HOSTOUTPUT$"

Can I use %alertsummary% and any other notification variables in this command? Before I go too far down the rabbit hole, I wanted to make sure I was not doing something that would not work.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Nagios XI macro vs variables questions

Post by scottwilkerson »

You can only use the macros here in the columns Host/Service Notifications for custom notifications:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... olist.html
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
dflick

Post by dflick »

I think that maybe we have a miscommunication. I am looking at the other way around. I wanted to know if VARIABLES like %alertsummary% would be available to a custom command.

Currently the Macros are working as intended but I would like to add variables to those commands (as well as macros that are already functioning).

Specifically, would this command work (see where I added "Alert Summary is %alertsummary%")?

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /home/nagios/.local/bin/aws sns publish --topic-arn REDACTED:CAECD_CRIT --subject "Onshore IT CAECD Host Alert $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" --message "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ CAECD Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ Alert Summary is %alertsummary% Date/Time: $LONGDATETIME$ Duration: $HOSTDURATION$ Info: $HOSTOUTPUT$"
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

%alertsummary% cannot be used as it is a special macro added just to the XI notification handler

None of the %xxxxx% can be used directly on a custom command, just the $xxxx$ in the link I previously referenced.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
dflick

Post by dflick »

That answers my question exactly! Thanks!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

dflick wrote:That answers my question exactly! Thanks!
Great. Locking thread.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com