NagiosXI 5.5.3 migration from CentOS 6 to RHEL7

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
medleyb

NagiosXI 5.5.3 migration from CentOS 6 to RHEL7

Post by medleyb »

I have completed the migration as per the documentation (thanks Scott W) *but* there seems to be two issues/artifacts oif migrating to RHEL7.

First mysqld is not running as a service. How do I automate stopping/starting it?

mysql 13127 1 0 20:52 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --basedir=/usr
mysql 13373 13127 56 20:52 ? 00:03:04 /usr/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --plugin-dir
=/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin --log-error=/var/log/mariadb/mariadb.log --pid-file=/var/run/mariadb/mariadb.pid --socket=/var/
lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Second, nagiosxi is not installed as a service. Does it need to be? It was under CentOS 6.10. If so, how do I do so?

I was using this script to stop nagiosxi on CentOS 6.10:

service nagiosxi stop
service npcd stop
service ndo2db stop
service nagios stop
service postgresql stop
service mysqld stop
service httpd stop

I no longer need to worry about potgresql but the other two from above will not stop.

This is a minimum install of RHEL 7.5

Thank you for your time.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: NagiosXI 5.5.3 migration from CentOS 6 to RHEL7

Post by lmiltchev »

First mysqld is not running as a service. How do I automate stopping/starting it?
RHEL 7 should have mariadb installed instead of mysqld. You can stop/start service by running:

Code: Select all

systemctl stop mariadb.service
systemctl start mariadb.service
and check the status by running:

systemctl status mariadb.service
Second, nagiosxi is not installed as a service. Does it need to be? It was under CentOS 6.10. If so, how do I do so?
The nagiosxi service used to combine a few nagios services (that could be stopped/started with "one go"). It is no longer used. Even if you had it left over on your system after the upgrade, you don't need to worry about it. Just remove the following line from your script:

service nagiosxi stop
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
medleyb

Post by medleyb »

Thanks! :D
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You are welcome! Do you have any further questions or it is ok to lock this topic?
medleyb

Post by medleyb »

Two more questions:

1. Besides "nrdp/configs/base_nrdp_server.cfg" and the program url under Admin, where else is the source IP/URL defined and used? I am getting a re-login from a dashboard to the old IP address.

2. Is there anyway to save and refer to the old perfdata when the IP address of the NagiosXI host changes? I notice that the old IP address is referenced everywhere in the logs. DO I just do a "mass edit" to the new IP address?

Thanks!
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

1. Besides "nrdp/configs/base_nrdp_server.cfg" and the program url under Admin, where else is the source IP/URL defined and used? I am getting a re-login from a dashboard to the old IP address.
I can't think of any other places, where the IP/URL needs to be changed/modified. The restore process should've taken care of that. However, you will have to re-add the dashboard as currently, there is no option to edit dashboards in Nagios XI (with exception of the dashboard title and background color).
2. Is there anyway to save and refer to the old perfdata when the IP address of the NagiosXI host changes? I notice that the old IP address is referenced everywhere in the logs. DO I just do a "mass edit" to the new IP address?
Can you elaborate on that and give us an example? Changing the IP of the XI server doesn't matter as changing the IP of the object you are monitoring does for RRDs... If you want to change the "old" IP in the logs to the "new" one, you could do it in bulk if you wish via sed or similar program.
medleyb

Post by medleyb »

Last one (I think)

item 3: I want to enforce a specific landing dashboard on users. Is there a way to do this?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

There is no easy way to do this in XI. You could deploy dashboards to users, and keep them "synced", so that they wouldn't be able to modify them, however you cannot force them to use a particular dashboard as a home page. There is a way to do it, but it's more involved...

1. You would need to deploy your dashboard to your users (Dashboards > Dashboard Tools > Deploy Dashboards), with the "Keep Synced" checkbox selected.

2. Next, you will need to log in (masquerade in) as your user(s), modify your home page to use this dashboard. In order to do this, you will need to click on the username in the upper-right corner, go to My Account > Home Page Options > Home Page Destination = Custom URL > Custom URL = <URL to the dashboard>, and click on "Update Settings".

3. Lastly, you need to log in as nagiosadmin, and prevent users from overriding their default home page settings (Admin > Manage Components > Home Page Modification > Edit Settings > Allow users to override their default home page settings = NOT selected (cleared) > Apply Settings.

This is not ideal as there may be some issues:
- Some of your "regular" users may not be authorized to see all of the data, so they may be seeing "You are not authorized to access this feature" message.
- Admin will still be able to modify their home page
medleyb

Post by medleyb »

"Can you elaborate on that and give us an example? Changing the IP of the XI server doesn't matter as changing the IP of the object you are monitoring does for RRDs... If you want to change the "old" IP in the logs to the "new" one, you could do it in bulk if you wish via sed or similar program."
I grepped (grep -R) for the IP of the nagios server for all files under /usr/local/nagios and quite a few files under perfdata had that IP.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I grepped (grep -R) for the IP of the nagios server for all files under /usr/local/nagios and quite a few files under perfdata had that IP.
Can you show us an example? You are not talking about the "<NAGIOS_HOSTOUTPUT>" and "<NAGIOS_SERVICEOUTPUT>" in the XML files, are you?

It is possible that the Nagios server IP shows up there. For example, I have an "old" RRD and XML files in my perfdata directory for "myhost" host. The IP address of "myhost" changed, so now when I grep for my Nagios XI server's IP in the perfdata directory, I see this:
/usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata/myhost/_HOST_.xml: <NAGIOS_HOSTOUTPUT>CRITICAL - 192.168.3.30: Host unreachable @ 192.168.x.x rta nan, lost 100%</NAGIOS_HOSTOUTPUT>
where the text in red is my Nagios XI server IP address.