Ping a device every 5 seconds and report loss immediately

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
skang
Support Tech

Re: Ping a device every 5 seconds and report loss immediatel

Post by skang »

Just to add a little more about what is going on,

Nagios periodically checks the freshness of the results for all hosts services that have freshness checking enabled.
If you have a freshness threshold of 5 for one of your services, Nagios will consider that service to be stale if its last check result is older than 5 seconds and execute its check command.

To find out more about service and host freshness checks, please check out our documentation:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... hness.html
tmattingly

Post by tmattingly »

Reviewing your notes (sorry I was ooto part of last week)
tmattingly

Post by tmattingly »

The screen is refreshing more often and I can see updates via service status of 10 seconds. Can you confirm I have the settings correct based upon what is in my attachment? Just want to make sure I've covered all the bases.

And to reassure you its only 1 ( yes just 1!) IP address I need to monitor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

This looks correct. The actual check will be performed approximately every 10 seconds.

Note: If you wanted to lower this even more, you would have to lower this service_freshness_check_interval value in the nagios.cfg even more (less than 5 sec), which is NOT a good idea. It would put too much stress on the system.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
tmattingly

Post by tmattingly »

I agree. We will leave it as it is. Per my coworkers even 10 seconds will work. If you can leave this open for one day and then close the thread.

I did hear your concern and we decided to only do one 1 IP address to monitor at such a high rate. All the others are as normal.

Thank you if I don't have further questions.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Sounds good. We will keep the topic open for the time being.
tmattingly

Post by tmattingly »

Look like its working. Its doing at least every 10 seconds per last check (again in service details) but the duration is incrementing every 4-7 seconds. Does that mean it really is checking that often?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Nagios will attempt to run the check every 5 seconds, but this doesn't mean this value would be "set in stone". Different values can be explained by the fact that not all checks will take the exact same time to execute.There is going to be some variance, which is normal, especially when you are pushing the software to do something that it was not designed to do. All and all, it seems like it is working the way you want it to work (pinging the service approximately every 5 seconds). If you don't have any further questions, we will be locking this thread. Thanks!
tmattingly

Post by tmattingly »

Yes. I agree with you what you said. The duration is usually 5 seconds but not always and I can accept that. It is working based upon your settings and reviews of the settings screen. So thank you! Go ahead and lock it.