Restoring settings concerning AD-integration, backups

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
tmvision

Restoring settings concerning AD-integration, backups

Post by tmvision »

Hi

I have recently been working on a procedure for restoring our Nagios XI environment. That is, all the steps from installing a new server to restoring our latest backup.
When testing this procedure I found that my new test XI instance didn't completely restore to the state of the original.
The configuration for AD-integration, scheduled backups and smtp were missing (maybe others as well?). We also had to enter our License keys again.
Are these settings not contained in the backups?

Our current setup and the new test-machine have similar specs:
  • - 64-bit CentOS 7
    - Nagios XI 5.5.2
    - On both systems Nagios XI was installed manually (with the --non-interactive flag on the new system only).
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Restoring settings concerning AD-integration, backups

Post by ssax »

That data is contained in the nagiosxi DB and should be retained during the restore, I've validated that the settings transfer when I restore to another system.

On your XI server, please run the backup and send me the full output:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts
./backup_xi.sh
Then when you restore on the new server, please send me the full output as well:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts
./restore_xi.sh /path/to/your/backup/file.tar.gz
tmvision

Post by tmvision »

I tried again today, and everything seems fine this time around.

Does it make a difference whether or not I go through the "Nagios XI Installation" screens in the webinterface before restoring?
I made sure not to open them this time, but I may have filled them out last week, to make sure the installation completed successfully. I don't remember.

Anyway, problem appears to be fixed for now.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Does it make a difference whether or not I go through the "Nagios XI Installation" screens in the webinterface before restoring?
No, you don't need to go through the "Nagios XI Installation" screens in the webinterface before restoring. All of the data, e.g. license key should be restored on the new server.
Anyway, problem appears to be fixed for now.
I am locking this topic. If you have any further questions, please start a new thread.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!