Nagios XI not sending email notifications on a server

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
juana

Nagios XI not sending email notifications on a server

Post by juana »

Hello,

I have a critical system that recently the website stopped rendering. I have a URL check that checks to ensure the site is rendering. When the tomcat service stopped responding couple days ago, Nagios XI did not send any notifications to the team. Further investigation, I determined that the critical notification is not sending emails, even though the the check does turn critical after the 3rd failure. Even more investiagion, while the service check turns critical on the 3rd check failure, the status is not changing from "soft" to "hard". Is anyone experiencing this same issue or has experienced?

I have another application that is being monitored in the same fashion with the same Nagios agent, etc. The URL service check for this system is working fine on failure. I did clone that same URL check that is working on this system and configure it on the system URL that is failing. This new cloned check is notifying correctly. While I can redo the URL service check on the system for which is failing to notify, I really want to know what is causing this issue. I want to ensure that other systems are not in this same state of not being able to email alerts once the checks have turned critical.

Thank you,

Juana
Last edited by juana on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juana

Re: Nagios XI not sending email notifications on a server

Post by juana »

Hello,

Update: I went ahead and made the URL check that is failing to notify "Inactive" in Nagios Core. Ran the "Apply Configuration". Then went back to make the service "Active" then ran the "Apply Configuration" and now the service check is working as expected.

What I will do next is reboot the master Nagios XI server then do a version update, just in case is an issue with the version we are currently running which is: Nagios XI 5.5.2 (found on bottom left hand corner).
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Yes, you will need to upgrade your Nagios XI version to the latest, which whips with Nagios Core to 4.4.3. The bug that you are having has been fixed in Nagios Core 4.4.3.
* Fixed services in soft states sometimes not switching into hard states (#576) (Jake Omann)
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... /Changelog

Here's a link to our official documentation on upgrading Nagios XI:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ctions.pdf
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
juana

Post by juana »

Thank you. I did upgrade Nagios last week on Friday and all is working fine so far.

Thank you.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Great! I am glad I could help! I will be closing this topic. If you have any further questions, please start a new thread.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!