Bulk Change: Event Handlers?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mbeebe

Bulk Change: Event Handlers?

Post by mbeebe »

Hello,

Is there a way to make bulk changes in order to add event handlers to a group of hosts/services? Apart from a lot of sed, that is.

Thanks as always,

-- Mike Beebe
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Re: Bulk Change: Event Handlers?

Post by eloyd »

Do you have Nagios Enterprise add-on? If so, then you have the Bulk Change Tool in the Core Config Manager that will allow you to enable/disable the event handler for multiple services. It does not, however, let you specify what the event handler command is (this should be a feature request!)

The best thing you can do is to make a new service template that has the correct event handler information and then use the bulk change tool to apply the service template to multiple services. Then you've effectively added a layer of abstraction that does what you want.

But it still requires the bulk change tool. Otherwise, it's export/modify/import at the Nagios Core config file level.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Thanks Eric! I'll put in a feature request for the setting the event handler command in the Bulk Mods Tool.

@mbeebe, Just let us know if you have any additional questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
mbeebe

Post by mbeebe »

Thanks, Ben and Eloyd;

Will Global Event Handlers do what I want? I need to add an event handler to every host and service I'm monitoring.

-- Mike Beebe
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Global Event Handlers would do what you want if you want to add the same event handler to ALL hosts/services, but it cannot handle different handlers per host/service.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

You could program logic into a global event handler that did different sub tasks for different services though.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

eloyd wrote:You could program logic into a global event handler that did different sub tasks for different services though.
true
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mbeebe

Post by mbeebe »

Can I please request this thread not be locked yet? I will have some other questions, but time prohibits me from asking them now.

Thanks,

-- Mike Beebe
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Can I please request this thread not be locked yet? I will have some other questions, but time prohibits me from asking them now.
No problem. We'll keep it open.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
mbeebe

Post by mbeebe »

Hello,

You may close this thread now as we're going to come at this from a different direction.

-- Mike Beebe