Need a help about performance logs...

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
BIB

Need a help about performance logs...

Post by BIB »

Hello.

about ten days ago we migrated to a new server (same version of Nagios XI, new version of OS) and we noticed that on some hosts there is no entry in rrd files. it is very sporadic and I need help to find out what the problem is.
For example, we have a host group with about 40 hosts and one part has no entries in rrd files.

Please, ask what you need from our side to resolve this asap.

BIB.
pbroste

Re: Need a help about performance logs...

Post by pbroste »

Hello @BIB

Thanks for reaching out, we think that graphs stopped working as they modified the checks and the data sources changed. If you don't care about the old perfdata for these specific checks, they could remove the RRDs and XMLs from the check, and wait until they got rebuilt.

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata/<config name>
then find the RRDs and XML for these specific services and remove them.

rm -rf <service_name.rrd>
rm -rf <service_name.xml>
The new RRD and XML files should get recreated in 10-20 min, and the graphs should start showing up.

Please follow up with the System Profile if things don't clear up on this.

To send us your system profile.
  • Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
  • Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
  • Click the "Download Profile" button
  • Save the profile.zip file and send via Private Message
Thanks,
Perry
BIB

Post by BIB »

Hello.

Thank you for responding.
I just sent what you asked for in PM. I did as you advised at one host. I can notice that the rrd and xml files were recreated almost after a minute and are loaded regularly. What is the current issue is that Performance Graphs is empty (in the last 4 hours option). Is it necessary to restart an additional service?

BIB
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @BIB

Thanks for following up with the info and sending over the System Profile.

We see that perfdata queue is failing on 'rrdcached', here is an example log that we see:
rrdcached[1418]: queue_thread_main: rrd_update_r (/usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata/yourxxxxxxxxx/_HOST_.rrd) failed with status -1. (/usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata/yourxxxxxxxxx/_HOST_.rrd: found extra data on update argument: 3.096:1.414)
Want to have you run through the install on 'rrdcached' and the 'rrd_ds_fix' found here:

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=149

Restart service by bouncing:

systemctl restart nagios npcd
Please let us know how things are looking,
Perry
BIB

Post by BIB »

Hello pbroste.

Thank you for review system profile. It is very helpfull.
I deleteed almoust 50% of all rrd and xml files and now is it okay.
At the moment after the migration, from the old server, according to the instructions of your colleague, I backed up the entire perf folder and unpacked it on the new server (overwriting existing files) so that it is possible that the service you mentioned should have been restarted. At the moment everything is ok. Should I restart this service if everything okay now?

Your colleague advised me that rrd files can be easily transferred to a new server. considering that I am migrating another server tomorrow and we would like to save as many performance logs as possible, after pasting the logs from the old server, restart the mentioned service?

Best regards,
BIB.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @BIB

Excellent, that things are looking better. Here is a support article that explains how to migrate perfdata if you have not seen it yet.

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=166

Thanks,
Perry
BIB

Post by BIB »

Hello Perry.

That page is for transfer x32 to x64 but never mind. we are ok with losing some data.

Please close this post.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Thanks @BIB for the update and bring that to my attention, I will go ahead and lock this.

Perry