snmp trap service name and trap message

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
elinagios

snmp trap service name and trap message

Post by elinagios »

Hi

is it possible to change the SNMP trap service name? I tried selecting the service, configure tab and then re-configure service and the service name is greyd out.
Also for some traps the messages contain loads of lines and some contain for example enterprises.20246.2.3.1.1.1.2.2.17.0 ():2 enterprises.20246.2.3.1.1.1.2.2.18.0 lines. Does that mean that the MIB is not corretly proccessed? The message shouldnt contain oid's or should they? I checked the corresponding MIBs (manage MIBS) and also clicked Proccess Traps for those but the message still contain OID's.

Thank You!
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: snmp trap service name and trap message

Post by ssax »

Please run this command as root and PM me the resulting /tmp/SNMPFILES.tar.gz file:

Code: Select all

GZIP=-9 tar czvf /tmp/SNMPFILES.tar.gz /etc/snmp /usr/share/snmp/mibs
Also for some traps the messages contain loads of lines and some contain for example enterprises.20246.2.3.1.1.1.2.2.17.0 ():2 enterprises.20246.2.3.1.1.1.2.2.18.0 lines. Does that mean that the MIB is not corretly proccessed?
Generally, yes. Please send me a screenshot of the full message.
elinagios

Post by elinagios »

Sent them, can you have a look please?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

It looks like it's not expanding them properly even though you have this set in your /etc/snmp/snmptt.ini file:

# Configures how OIDs contained in the VALUE of the variable bindings are handled.
# This only applies to the values for $n, $+n, $-n, $vn, $+*, $-*.  For substitutions
# that include variable NAMES ($+n etc), only the variable VALUE is affected.
# Set to 0 to disable translating OID values to text (symbolic form)
# Set to 1 to translate OID values to short text (symbolic form) (eg: BuildingAlarm)
# Set to 2 to translate OID values to short text with module name (eg: UPS-MIB::BuildingAlarm)
# Set to 3 to translate OID values to long text (eg: iso...upsAlarm.BuildingAlarm)
# Set to 4 to translate OID values to long text with module name (eg: 
# UPS-MIB::iso...upsAlarm.BuildingAlarm)
# For example, if the value contained: 'A UPS Alarm (.1.3.6.1.4.1.534.1.7.12) has cleared.',
# it could be translated to: 'A UPS Alarm (UPS-MIB::BuildingAlarm) has cleared.'
# Note: net_snmp_perl_enable *must* be enabled
translate_value_oids = 1
Please run this command:

systemctl stop snmptt
Then generate one of those traps and then send me the trap file for the trap from this directory so I can lab it up:

/var/spool/snmptt/
Once you've grabbed it, start snmptt back up:

systemctl start snmptt