NCPA Listener stopped (Windows Server)

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
levidaurric

NCPA Listener stopped (Windows Server)

Post by levidaurric »

I have Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016 and 2019 servers, as of today I have nagios NCPA agent installed in version 2.4.0 and 2.3.1 on different servers. My problem is that certain time the "NCPA Listener" service stops and therefore my services in Nagios XI go to Unknown status.

I share the screens...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsmith

Re: NCPA Listener stopped (Windows Server)

Post by gsmith »

Hi

Is there anything in the Windows Event logs showing when the service dies?

Who is the service running as?

Thanks
levidaurric

Post by levidaurric »

The only log I have is: "[13080] 2021/12/29 18: 56: 18.513 starting logging at level ERROR"
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi

1. What is the name of the log file that has that entry?

2. On the Services, Properties for "NCPA Listener - ncpalistener"can you get a screenshot of the Log On tab please?
Image002.jpg
3. Is there any anti-virus software installed/running?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
levidaurric

Post by levidaurric »

1. The file name is: "win32service_ncpalistener" located in "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Nagios \ NCPA \ var \ log"

2. Already append the capture of the service in "Log On"

3.- Yes, in all windows servers we have ESET server security, additionally the OS firewall is deactivated as well as windows defender.

Regards...
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi

Thanks for those answers.

Could you please look in the Windows Event Viewer at both the System and Application logs around the time the NCPA listener
fails and report any messages related to NCPA ?

Thank you!
levidaurric

Post by levidaurric »

Hello gsmith!

This week I monitor the NCPA agent and it presented the same problem of stopping, I was checking the windows event viewer, it has nothing registered, I also checked the logs in Nagios /NCPA/var/log and there is also nothing.

Today NCPA service started again.
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi

From what I was able to interpret from some research it looks like ESET is most likely the culprit.

Please try to prevent ESET from monitoring the ncpalistener service and it's supporting files. We do not
have a license for ESET so I was unable to verify this on my test system.

You could also create a "test" Windows server without ESET, install the NCPA agent on it, and see if
the service dies.

Solving the root cause (ESET) is the best course of action, but I was able to come up with a band-aid.
I had Nagios XI monitor the ncpalistener service on a Windows server, and if the ncpalistener service dies,
an event handler will try to restart the ncpalistener. It seems the Window user called out in the script for
the event handler must be a Domain Admin. Here are the (rough) steps:

enable this in Windows firewall:
Remote Service Management (NP-In)

install samba on XI server:
yum -install -y samba

use the "net rpc" command to test command from XI. It seems the user must be a Domain Admin
[root@localhost ~]# net rpc -I 192.168.254.233 -U nagios/gsmith%8324PHrjw! service start ncpalistener
Successfully started service: ncpalistener

create /usr/local/nagios/start_ncpalistener.sh as:
#!/bin/bash
echo `date` >> /tmp/ncpa_remote.log
echo 'Trying to start ncpa listener service' >> /tmp/ncpa_remote.log
echo '' >> /tmp/ncpa_remote.log
net rpc -I 192.168.254.233 -U nagios/gsmith%8324PHrjw! service start ncpalistener

Create command in Nagios XI as misc_commands
Image11.png
Create event handler:
image12.png

Thanks
levidaurric

Post by levidaurric »

Hello,

Checking with the staff that manages the ESET antivirus, it can be seen that there is a blockage in the NCPA processes. Today request the exclusion of the processes on all Windows servers. I proceed to lift the Nagios processes again and monitor if this problem no longer presents. I'll confirm next Monday at the latest.

Regards
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi

Sounds good. Please let me know what happens.

Thank you!