Yum Update

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
WillemDH

Yum Update

Post by WillemDH »

Hello,

I plan to do a Yum Update on my Nagios XI production server, as I read in some other post on this forum this shouldn't cause any issues. So today I started doing the yum update on my Nagios XI test server. Everyhting seemed to update fine except the update update udev.x86_64 0:147-2.46.el6

Code: Select all

yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centos.weepeetelecom.be
 * epel: mirror.i3d.net
 * extras: centos.weepeetelecom.be
 * rpmforge: be.mirror.eurid.eu
 * updates: mirror.ate.info
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package udev.x86_64 0:147-2.46.el6 will be updated
---> Package udev.x86_64 0:147-2.51.el6 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

==================================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                     Arch                                          Version                                              Repository                                   Size
==================================================================================================================================================================================================
Updating:
 udev                                        x86_64                                        147-2.51.el6                                         base                                        348 k

Transaction Summary
Upgrade       1 Package(s)

Total download size: 348 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
udev-147-2.51.el6.x86_64.rpm                                                                                                                                               | 348 kB     00:00
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Updating   : udev-147-2.51.el6.x86_64                                                                                                                                                       1/2
Error unpacking rpm package udev-147-2.51.el6.x86_64
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules: cpio: rename
udev-147-2.46.el6.x86_64 was supposed to be removed but is not!
  Verifying  : udev-147-2.46.el6.x86_64                                                                                                                                                       1/2
  Verifying  : udev-147-2.51.el6.x86_64                                                                                                                                                       2/2

Failed:
  udev.x86_64 0:147-2.46.el6                                                                      udev.x86_64 0:147-2.51.el6

Complete!
As I thought this was more a CentOS issue, I opened a thread on the CentOS forum:

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic ... bf86ffc6a8

Where someone told me someone used chattr to mark that file as immutable so it cannot be overwritten. As I never heard of Chattr and certainly am not messing with any system or os related things I have no knowledge of, I thought maybe Nagios support knows what udev is and why it is locked from yum update.

Any thoughts on this?

Grtz

Willem
Nagios XI 5.8.1
https://outsideit.net
tmcdonald

Re: Yum Update

Post by tmcdonald »

Found another post on the CentOS forums about the same thing: https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3873

udev is a device manager, though I'm not sure why anyone would be messing with it like that. chattr -i on the file should remove the immutable bit and let you update.
Former Nagios employee
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Hey Trevor,

Kind of having the same issue, again with the udev package, on my Nagios QA system, as well as my PR system. I managed to solve it last time, still need to try same solution this time, but I wanted to put it on the forum, because I do suspect it has something to do with Nagios..
As my QA system is almost clean, I'm wondering what could cause this update to fail again...

This is the log:

yum update udev.x86_64
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Setting up Update Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centos.weepeetelecom.be
 * epel: fedora.cu.be
 * extras: centos.weepeetelecom.be
 * rpmforge: mirror.ate.info
 * updates: centos.weepeetelecom.be
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package udev.x86_64 0:147-2.46.el6 will be updated
---> Package udev.x86_64 0:147-2.57.el6 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

Package                                     Arch                                          Version                                              Repository                                   Size
Updating:
 udev                                        x86_64                                        147-2.57.el6                                         base                                        349 k

Transaction Summary
Upgrade       1 Package(s)

Total download size: 349 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
udev-147-2.57.el6.x86_64.rpm                                                                                                                                               | 349 kB     00:00
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Updating   : udev-147-2.57.el6.x86_64                                                                                                                                                       1/2
Error unpacking rpm package udev-147-2.57.el6.x86_64
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules: cpio: rename
udev-147-2.46.el6.x86_64 was supposed to be removed but is not!
  Verifying  : udev-147-2.46.el6.x86_64                                                                                                                                                       1/2
  Verifying  : udev-147-2.57.el6.x86_64                                                                                                                                                       2/2

Failed:
  udev.x86_64 0:147-2.46.el6                                                                      udev.x86_64 0:147-2.57.el6

Complete!
I'll let you know if the previous solutions works again.

Grtz
Nagios XI 5.8.1
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

WillemDH wrote:I'll let you know if the previous solutions works again.
Alright, let us know :)
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Andy,

chattr -i /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
Did it again. Update worked.

Please keep this thread open. I'm pretty sur I'll have the same issue next update. Still strange I'm the only one having this issue on Nagios forum. I can't be the only one. :?:

Grtz

Willem
Nagios XI 5.8.1
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I highly doubt this is nagios specific. We really don't do anything at all with udev. I have definitely seen this issue or similar on my own cent systems(nagios and non) and other distros that stay way ahead of Cent\RHEL a few months ago. I believe it's just more to do with udev changes for systemctl and systemd, but I could be wrong. (it's happened before)
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

This thread can also be closed. Removing the immutable bit resolves the issue every time.
Nagios XI 5.8.1